1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive letter weirdness...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jynx, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jynx

Jynx Thread Starter

I've just installed XP onto my new hard drive without a hitch, but what I thought was my C: drive is showing up as my G: drive! Here's what's up:

IDE 0: 30 G (master), CD-ROM (slave)
    IDE 1: 8 G 'GAMES' (master), 3 G 'TEMP' (slave)

When I started the installation, the 30 G drive was unformatted and unpartitioned, so I partitioned it, formatted it as NTFS, and installed Win XP on it. The other two drives already had data on them, and are FAT32 drives.

Now, when I look at "My Computer", my 30G drive is the last drive letter (even behind the CD-ROM), even though it's in the primary slot on IDE-0! Can anyone tell me why, and how to change it into the C: drive?

Thanks in advance!

2. BugMaster

BugMaster

Hmm.... Odd. Shouldn't you have both HDDs on the primary IDE channel? I'm not sure if that makes a difference. To fix, get partition magic 7.0 or search the downloads section of www.pcworld.com for a little utility called something like "Drive Mapper"

3. aubry

aubry

try this.
    right click on my computer, select manage then select disk management.
    from here you should be able to change your drive letters.
    you need to have admin rights to do this though.
    it'll ask for a reboot i think!

4. Jynx

Jynx Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion--unfortunately, the Drive Manager did not allow me to change the drive letter of the bootable system disk, for reasons unknown to me. Any other suggestions, or should I reinstall everything? Now would be the best time, since I haven't installed any other programs yet....

Thanks,

--J

5. aubry

aubry

the part in the thread above about powerquest drive mapper is the quickest route to take then!
    it'll save you hours, unless your looking forward to a reinstall :-(
    regards
    len

6. Jynx

Jynx Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, guys--unfortunately, I can't find any utilities that will help, either on pcworld.com or zdnet.com! :(

I guess that my only recourse is a complete reinstall of XP -- oh well, at least I haven't installed anything on it yet!

Thanks again,

--J

7. aubry

aubry

8. Jynx

Jynx Thread Starter

Thanks for the attachment--unfortunately, the utility you sent me only changes references to a drive letter; it doesn't change the drive letter itself.

I have decided that since it's not doing me any harm, I'm just going to leave my drives alone--while it's kinda weird, I can handle having my G: drive be my default...until it's time to rebuild, of course. :)

Thanks again for everyone's help!

9. Brooks

Brooks Guest

The reason it will not allow you to change it is that if you change the boot partition and do not change all references to it throughout the registry and change the boot.ini file, your system will be hosed. NT would allow you to go ahead and change the letters, and then would give you errors on the reboot and would not boot. Even going in and changing the arc path in the boot.ini to get the system to boot, you still had hours of reinstalling apps ahead of you.

Better to just do a reinstall from scratch than to try that.

Microsoft decided to fix it so you could not change the active boot partition.

In the future, I would disconnect any additional drives before installing.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice