1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Light / Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sdh31873, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdh31873

sdh31873 Thread Starter

I am building a new computer from scratch. It is has an Intel Motherboard, 1.8Ghz Pentium 4 Processor, 2 IDE Ports + 1 for the floppy drive, I have 4 External 5-1/4" slots, 2 External 3-1/2" slots and 3 internal 3-1/2" slots for hard drives. Here are my problems.

I had a Compaq Presario with a 5-1/4", 12gig Hard Drive. That motherboard went bad so I decided to build my own computer from scratch and everything was going fine until now. I took the 5-1/4" hard drive out and put it into my new case. It had Windows 98 on it and so I upgraded to Windows XP Professional. That solved many of my problems but I am still stuck with the following problems.

1. My Hard Drive Light on my Case which is suppose to light up when my hard drive is active, doesn't work. I can see a little green light on my hard drive itself light up but not on the front of the case where it is suppose to.

2. I decided that the 12Gig hard drive from my old system is a little too slow, so I bought a 40Gig, 7200 rpm Western Digital Caviar Drive. It is a 3-1/2" drive which I put into one of those internal drive bays. When I boot up, I go to CMOS by pressing F2 and then I go and see that the computer is recognizing it and it is. My problem is when I go to Windows and to "My Computer", it isn't there. I am sure it is something small that I am overlooking but I am new to this. I bought the hard drive as an OEM and it came with nothing. I am wondering what I need to do to get this hard drive active and then transfer all my data from my old hard drive over to the new one. I want to keep my old hard drive as a secondary, back-up drive but I want my system to boot up, load the operating system and load all programs from my new hard drive. Please help.

3. I want the following and I need to know the best way to accomplish it.
    a. DVD Rom Drive
    b. CD-RW Drive
    c. Regular High-Speed CD-Rom Drive
    d. Old 5-1/4" Internal IDE Hard Drive
    e. 3-1/2" floppy drive
    f. Internal 3-1/2" Iomega 100mg. Zip Drive
    g. Internal 40Gig Hard Drive (3-1/2")

The problem is that my computer comes with 2 IDE Ports on the motherboard and one for the 3-1/2" floppy. Each IDE cable has 2 slots. One for Master and one for Slave. I need 6 IDE Ports for a single cable or 3 for double cables. Which do you prefer and how do I obtain additional IDE Ports. I don't want to purchase any SCSI right now so I am trying to stick with the IDE.

How do you recommend placing these devices on the IDE controllers and in what order?

Should I have the 2 hard drives on the same IDE Cable with one as master and one as slave?

I know this is a lot of questions but I am in a bind and need some help. Thanks a MILLION.

:cool:

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi sdh31873

Do not put both hard drives on the same string as the controller will default to the lowest speed hard drive. In fact I would think about getting rid of the old drive entirely as its age means that it should be very slow.

Have you tried turning the led HD connector to the motherboard over?

You can get an Promise PCI controller card that will allow you to add some extra IDE ports. The controller will show the devices on it to be D0, D1, D2 etc. It looks like a SCSI device to the system but hooks up IDE devices.

You need to FDISK and format a new hard drive before windows can see it.

3. sdh31873

sdh31873 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but how do I Fdisk and Format a new hard drive. I have Windows XP Professional and was curious how to do that. Do I run it from Windows or do I have to get to a dos prompt? Thanks.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice