1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive light

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnviv, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnviv

johnviv Thread Starter

hi all
    my son- in -law has a pc, a packard bell installed with xp home edition,and it has been working fine for 12 months, but now the hard drive light is on all the time, he can still use the pc all be it has slowed down some what, could anybody sugest a possible diagnostic test that we could download to test what could be the cause,
    he has 2x 512mg of ram and its 2.9 ghz
    many thanks in anticipation.
    johnviv.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

First check in Task Manager (processes tab - click on "CPU" to order the % of use highest to lowest) to see what application is hogging the CPU, it *might* be the same one that is causing the HDD activity.

I would also suspect a trojan or other malware as a possibility.

Also make sure that the HDD actually has useable space left (My Computer - select drive with right click - Properties)

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. johnviv

johnviv Thread Starter

hi kiwiguy
    he has about 80gb of hard drive memory left
    i went into msconfig- start up- and found this start up program vttime.exe
    i dont know much about this i have tried to google it but there is not a lot of info.
    i will try your other sugestions, later, i am in my late sixties, so it it takes a while to get the old grey cells working, many thanks for your help.
    johnviv.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice