1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive locked?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pakora115, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pakora115

pakora115 Thread Starter

i have a dell inspiron 8100 laptop and my hard drive crashed (at least thats what they told me when i called dell) i was told that the hard drive was locked and that i might as well throw it away. is there anyway that i can get into this? i really need to get into my computer asap!!! thank you

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

You could try placing it in a zip lock bag, and putting the drive in a freezer for 1-2 hours, then hook it up and see if it'll work. It won't work for long if it does, so get what you need off it immediately.

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Also, as a last resort u can try turning the drive up on its side edge surface and giv it a sharp wack against the work surface table. This may free the drive up so u can access it. Keep in mind this is to be used as a last resort tactic. I hav no direct experience with this----hav only heard of it befor. Good Luck and let us know how u make out if you try.

4. koka_kola

koka_kola

If you have real critical info on the hard drive, u might want to look to a data recovery company

I dont know of the frequency of your backups or what have you, but Im sure if you took your laptop in, and gave a good sob storry, u might get a good deal from them. Good luck with the direction you take, this has happened to me before, and I was able to recover for a nominal amount

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/197285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice