1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive longevity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wh00t, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wh00t

wh00t Thread Starter

Hello

A friend told me that I could increase the lifespan of my hard drive by turning off my computer every few days rather than continuously leaving it on. Is this true?

Thanks

2. edals

edals

The debate on whether or not to power off your PC, suspend it or leave it running will seemingly always be argued. However, based on your question, you should be fine leaving it on. Most PC's, I'd say 5 years-old or newer, come with some type of power managment that will actually keep the HDD platters from spinning when not in use.

3. n2gun

n2gun

If you are worried about the hard drive running all the time, there is a way to set it to stop running after so long of inactivity.

In my computer using windows xp there is the icon "power options". It can be used to set a length of time of inactivity to shut off the hard drive until you start using it again. Hope this helps answer your question.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I think your friend is just repeating one side of a controversy that has raged as long as hard drives have existed! :D There is no difinitive data to suggest that turning them off or letting them run will result in longer life, both actions have their own adverse effects on drive life. Personally, I leave my main systems on all the time, and I get better hard drive life than many folks I know.

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

I've never left my computer on real long, I turn it on and off at least 10 times a day, sometimes more like a 100 when I'm testing components, my Maxtor ATA66 is going on its 4th year strong despite this abuse.

I believe its the quality of the drive you use not how you treat it that determines its life.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice