1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive makes beeping sounds and then BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have two hard drives here that are still in warranty. Both are Seagate 2TB drives of the same model, both ordered at the same time about a year and a half ago. One is installed in a system as a secondary drive and the other as a third drive. Both drives will occasionally Blue Screen and start a rythmic beeping sound about once per second or two. Restarting the computer does not help; however, turning the computer off and disconnecting the power cord for a half minute or so seems to clear the problem for a couple of weeks or a month.

The drives test good both with the Seagate DOS-mode tester and with the Windows tester.

I am sure the beeping sounds are being emitted by these two drives as I have (because of this problem) moved them both to a position where I can place my ear tightly against them in order to be absolutely certain.

I have the data on these drives duplicated on other drives so nothing is at risk.

So, if the drives test good, what are other possible causes?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Hard drives can't beep. Motherboards can.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think he might be referring to the noise the armature makes when seeking on a duff disk.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

5. Alex Ethridge

To be clear, I stated the hard disks are making beeping sounds. People don't moo either, cows do; but, people can make mooing sounds. Duck callers don't quack; but, they make quacking sounds.

It is not the motherboard making the sound. The sound is coming from the hard disk. As stated earlier, I placed my ear tightly against the disk drive and there is no mistake about it.

Now back to the original question: If the drives test good, what are other possible causes?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I posted a link to hard drive sounds. Go listen to them, and tell us which sound you hear.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think you need to talk to Seagate.

8. Alex Ethridge

The closest one I heard was one that sounded more like a buzz-n-click. There is no click with this one. It sounds like a tiny, tiny horn.

"Beep" is actually the closest word; but, I have heard this type sound from many hard disks over the years and every one is a little different.

If it is the hard disks, then it is both and they have been having this anomaly every month or two since they were new. Strange.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Record it and upload it.

It's practically impossible to troubleshoot a "sound" by explaining it in words. That's why that site is so helpful. I have absolutely no frame of reference for any kind of "beep" or "horn" noise coming from a hard drive.

10. Alex Ethridge

I'll try; but, the way it has been going, it could be a month or even two before it happens again. Then again, it could be tonight. We'll see.

11. Alex Ethridge

Okay, I finally have a definitive answer to put on this.

I now have the classic "Click of Death".

Both drives have been "blowing their horns" so I guess they both need to go back to Seagate.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice