1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive makes loud bumping noise at bootup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geno368, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I have a Dell D600 laptop that the hard drive makes noise as it tried to boot up. It then stops running (it seems) and I get the error message"Primary hard disk drive 0 not found". I don't have a boot disk for this XP system, but does this mean the drive is bad?

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Almost certainly the HDD has failed mechanically / physically.

3. arknorth

arknorth

Aye - It's a dead one - D600s have a slight tendancy to kill HDs - been there - done that - and found that it wasn't the HDs fault. The D600 I started with had a glitch in the motherboard that was causing HDs to die prematurely - went through 2 HDs originally before buying a stripped D600 and swapping the MB and have never had the problem since.

Now I'm not saying that this is your problem (mine was a remanufactured unit), but take care when replacing that HD. If it fails again, I'd start looking at the MB as well.

As for checking the unit, try the following -

1 - Turn on the machine - IF IT SHOWS THE DELL LOGO, you've passed the first hurdle - the problem is more likely in the HD and not the MB.

2 - WHILE THE DELL LOGO IS UP, press the F12 key - the special bootup screen will appear.

3 - Choose DIAGNOSTICS and run it - this will determin whether it is a boot failure or a viral failure of the HD - it will also check other things like the RAM and the screen.

Now, as you said, you do not have the restore disk - remember that if you need to replace the HD, you will need a new Windows OS disk. This machine will work with either XP Home or Pro, and the program is still available through most retailers until October. BUT, you will have to download from Dell all your drivers via a second computer and a flash drive. On the bottom of the D600 is a Service Tag Number - write this down and have it available when you go to get the drivers. You'll find them at http://www.support.dell.com . By putting in that service tag number, the Dell site will show you all drivers needed for YOUR machine (just asking for a generic D600 list of drivers will give you ALL drivers, which you do not need). The nice thing is that it's all free as well.

Good luck with your beastie!

A-N

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/833328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice