1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive making alot of noise lately

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cliffo90, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

when i first go my hard drive, a sata seagate barracuda, it made no noise at all. but lately, its making alot of grnding sort of noise. like a fidgeting noise. even when opening a folder that has all my programs installers, it will make a long fidget noise. does htis mean my hd is failing? i dont want to buy another harddrive

2. bigbear

bigbear

If your sure its coming from the hard drive and not a fan I would backup all your data while you still can, if it is the hard drive making the noise it could be starting to fail.

3. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

yea, its definatly the hard drive thats making the noise. by backing up all my data, u mean like save everything anto cd's?

oh and is there a way to prevent this happeneing again in the future? because i wouldnt want this to happen again to the hard drive that i might buy.

4. Flags

Flags

cliff: MIGHT buy my foot. If your hard drive is making noises and you want to keep computing, you're definately going to buy a new HDD.
    Backing up is just copying everything you cannot live without to your CDRW and burning that data. Don't worry about programs, if you still have the disks for them you can reinstall them. It's the data in the programs that you want to save.
    Anything you can redownload-music-spyware programs, etc. don't worry about.
    It's not hard to do but it is time consuming.
    There is a free program for backing up all your drivers if you need to. It is called Double Drive. Google for it and download , install and run. Copy all the drivers to a floppy or CD and you'll have it when you set up your new HDD.
    Have fun.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, if you have something like Acronis True Image and an external USB drive, you can make an image of everything in a few minutes. :)

6. silvershield

silvershield

Yeah, its failing... Seagate has a 5-year warranty on it though.... (check on their website) You could probably get a free new one.

7. chinchye

chinchye

I have a strange problem in my pc too. I am using windowsME and I use MSIE to surf the net.

Many times, when I want to go to a new site, the internet explorer will seems to hang half way, with the blue bar at the status bar showing halfway and stopped, and so I decided to wait, thinking that my pc is old and maybe there are heavy traffics etc, then all of a sudden, IE became alive and I could see the web page coming out, but when this happen, my PC also produce a lot of rattling sound. Is this sound the harddisk or the processor, etc.

Thanks

8. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

sigh, sorta mad, only had this hd for about 5 months. and i've noticed a drop in fps in games lately too. anyone recommend a good reliable hd? maybe this time around 80gb? or is there no such thing as a long lasting one, do you just have to get lucky hd?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430418