1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive making grinding sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cebkent, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cebkent

Cebkent Thread Starter

A hard drive on one of our office computers in making unpleasant sounds--kinda sounds like a car in desperate need of a tuneup :rolleyes:

To what culprit, generally, would a loud hard drive be attributable? Does it mean it might be overheating? Or getting ready to die? Haven't had any failures on it thus far. It's behaving fine, just loud--sorta sounds like it's hitting small rocks or something as it spins. What can/should I do to diagnose?

Thanks for everyone's help!

2. Pendragon

Pendragon

3. Cebkent

Cebkent Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for your link--it's not that kind of a sound though.

After reading additional posts (which I should have done earlier, but I figured a search on "noise" would produce too many posts to sift through--little did I know there was a recent post on the same subject) I found that the culprit is often the fans. I'll take the cover off & blow around a bit and see if that helps, especially since I've not had any hard drive errors so far.

My apologies for posting without doing more reading first... If cleaning the inside doesn't help, I'll report back. :)

4. Pendragon

Pendragon

Alternatively it could be a headcrash which is probably irreperable but if it appears to be working fine aside from the sound then it's probably not this.

5. WarC

WarC

A suddenly noisy harddrive is more often than not a warning for you to back things up and get ready for doomsday : P If the previous post doesn't help, than I suggest buying a new harddrive and ghosting the originals contents to the new one.

6. Pendragon

Pendragon

As he said. If its suddenly started being noisy very recently and expecially if it's not a new HDD it could be a head crash or another soon-to-be fatal error.
    If it does go down before you're able to back up any important info.. there are companies that will be able to salvage some, if not all of the data. But it comes at a price.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/88168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice