1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive making rumbling, grinding noise.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dilliumm, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dilliumm

dilliumm Thread Starter

My computer has been making this noise for a while, and I've never really thought much of it, but it's starting to get on my nerves a bit and now I'm worried theres actually something wrong with it. It seems to be coming from my hard drive. I don't know much about hardware so I don't really want to take it apart to see what's wrong with it.
    I've recorded the sound through my phone and will post it here, but it's not a very loud sound and is covered a bit by the fan that's a foot away from it. I had to make them into .rar because the website doesn't allow .m4a

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The telltale sign of a hard drive failing is a clicking noise made by the drive head arm hitting the side of the case. Drives are about $50 for a 1TB desktop drive.

dilliumm likes this.
  3. dilliumm

dilliumm Thread Starter

yeah I thought that might be it, but it's been doing this for about a year now. How long does it take one to fail?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

A hard drive, especially the older less than 1TB ones, last for a long time.

dilliumm likes this.
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I listened to all three files and to me it just sounds like fan noise. In any case, ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when the drive will fail. If this system has anything important, you make regular backups.

dilliumm likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice