1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive, Memory, BIOS ? problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prerookie, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prerookie

prerookie Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 8200, pentium4 2.0GHz, 512 MB RDRAM, using Winows XP, home edition. The other day I got a "missing NTLDR file" error. Instead of choosing to repair, booting from CD ROM, I decided to delete the single partition and create 2 NTFS parttions, and re-install XP on the first one (C:). During the installation, the formating part went smoothly. However, after that I got few "setup cannot copy the file <filenames>". I kept pressing ESC to continue without copying the files until I got the blue screen of death. I took the XP CD out, cleaned it, turn the power off. Then I retried to install, but got the same results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

If you see setup seemingly suspended after copying a given file, while your CD-ROM drive is spinning madly and making noises, then setup says that it can't copy the file, then most likely your XP instal CD is damaged or just dusty. Try to clean it, or use a backup copy, if you have one, or borrow a XP CD from a friend.

If your CD-ROM behaves normally, and setup still can't copy, maybe your hard disk is failing. A disk surface check should be done. I don't recommend Scandisk for this purpose. Try something else, which boots from floppy, and doesn't use windows components to access hard disk. Spinrite, for example.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice