1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard Drive mixup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hughie, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hughie

hughie Thread Starter

Dear Techies

I need some advice I have inadvertently bought a Seagate barracuda 120 ultra/100 instead of a baracuda SATA drive.
    I would like to know if there is much difference in performance between the 2 drives. Also if I decide to keep the drive I got is there a difference in installing this drive compared to an ordinary IDE Drive. My M/B is an ASUS A7N8X deluxe.

2. n79ford

n79ford

Now i am not a professional but, apparently there is little differace between the two. SATA "aparently" is cheeper to make and may have a higher buffer rate. This is just what i have read.

----
    D0A

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You'd need a very good eye to see any performance difference, since the speed of the interface on either type of drive far exceeds the data rate to/from the raw media. That drive is a standard IDE drive, just stick it on the 40 pin (80 conductor) cable and enjoy it. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice