1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive/Motherboard setup problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pycroft, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pycroft

Pycroft Thread Starter

Hello all...

Here is my problem. It's long, but I'll give the condensed version. My father is household tech guy. He's upgrading my motherboard to fit more ram. When installing everything, we've encountered a problem. The computer is no longer booting correctly. It recognizes the harddrive, tries to load it, and NOTHING. The best we've done is gotten the computer to boot to DOS. From there, we were able to find out that what was formerly the C: drive is now called D: What was formerly the D: drive (Recovery drive) is now the C: This is the guess of why it is not booting properly. We tried to manually run Windows XP and boot it from DOS but could not figure otu how. In the BIOS, the Primary drive is listed correctly. We're not sure what to do. Unfortuantly I do not have the recovery CD's for windows (They are at my house, and I'm at my parents). Does anyone have a solution or ideas?

Here's the best I can give you on teh details of hardware...everything except the motherboard and graphics card are original equipment from a HP Pavilion A220N. It is an ATX motherboard that IS compatible with the hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

James

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Pycroft, are you still using your actual original motherboard as when that system was originally loaded?
    If not, you have an incompatibility problem regardles of it being a similar M/B.
    This may be addressed by doing a repair with a Windows CD.

If you are still using the original motherboard with all the original equipment and the only thing altered is the memory, it becomes a bit of a puzzle!

Cheers, qldit.

3. Pycroft

Pycroft Thread Starter

Hello...

My original motherboard is not in use. I have the new motherboard installed with all the parts from the old HP Pavillion A220N Computer. After 7 hours of my father working on it, we now know the problem, but don't know the solution. Can anyone else help?

Thanks,

James

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the hard drive was the drive originally in the HP machine it is trying to load the original motherboard drivers. Unless the new motherboard is EXACTLY the same as the original HP motherboard you will need to do a clean install of Windows.

Also, you would not be able to use the HP recovery disc(s) to load Windows on a new different motherboard.

5. bigbear

bigbear

When installing a new motherboard a clean install of windows is required.
    If you have HP recovery discs, they wont work either.
    Your only option is to purchase a new OS

6. Pycroft

Pycroft Thread Starter

The motherboard came with a CD with drivers that we can boot with. Is there any other way to do it? I'm worried since my recovery disks are at my house (2 hours away) and my father is the tech savvy one who can do the 'hooking up' of the computer. Is there a way that through DOS, or this CD (Ubungu something or other...my father says it's a Linyx OS) that we can fix this problem?

Thanks again for the help.

James

7. bigbear

bigbear

Forget the recovery disc's they are not going to work.
    You need to load the OS before the mobo drivers, which are on that cd.
    If you what to run windows you need a new version.

8. Pycroft

Pycroft Thread Starter

Thanks guys...sorry...didn't see both posts about Recovery Disks. My father currently has my hard drive installed in his Compaq computer, and it is reading fine. I told him what you said. Since we have a computer that it WILL work with, is it possible to somehow get the files or drives for that motherboard by downloading them onto the harddrive, then reinstalling the harddrive into the computer. He also mentioned that HP and Compaq are basically the same. Is there somethign that could be done now that we can easily access the hard drive in this other computer, to fix the problem?

Thanks,

James

9. bigbear

bigbear

Since you have installed a new mobo into your HP pc, it now has nothing to do with HP
    While you have the hard drive hooked in another pc, recover all you data to cd.
    Once installed back to the original pc you will the need to purchased and install a new copy of windows

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I think you are missing a point here. Your os [windows] is tied to the original hardware ie motherboard. You cannot replace the board and use your recovery disk to load the os. This is for two reasons.

1 It is not legal. The os that came pre-installed is tied to the original board.

2 It most likely will not work anyway. When you use a recovery CD, it does a bios / hardware check. If it does not "See" the hardware it expects to see, it will not load.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/521118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice