Hard drive noises, normal?

Brighton312

Hey, so my laptop (a Lenovo idea pad 360) has a hard drive that makes a soft smooth clicking noise. It just scare me that it may lead to hard drive failure.

crjdriver

First of all, ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. If you have important data, then you make backups. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data.
Spin drives do make noise; some more than others. If you are worried about your drive, test it with the drive mfg's diagnostic. You will need to find out who mgf the drive ie WD, Seagate, whomever. Download the diagnostic from the relevant site and test the drive.
If you are unable to find the mfg of the drive OR the mfg does not have a diagnostic, seatools [seagate utility] will test just about any drive.

Brighton312

First of all, ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. If you have important data, then you make backups. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data.
Spin drives do make noise; some more than others. If you are worried about your drive, test it with the drive mfg's diagnostic. You will need to find out who mgf the drive ie WD, Seagate, whomever. Download the diagnostic from the relevant site and test the drive.
If you are unable to find the mfg of the drive OR the mfg does not have a diagnostic, seatools [seagate utility] will test just about any drive.
I have used my laptops own diagnostics systems and hardware tests and it says that all components have passed the test. I’m not sure what you’re referring to but thanks a lot for the advice. :)

crjdriver

I refer to the diagnostic available from the drive mfg. The maker of your laptop most likely did not mfg the hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online