1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Hard drive not accessible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tonyvl06, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tonyvl06

Tonyvl06 Thread Starter

Hy i have a dell optiplex 790 i put an extra ssd in and the second hdd 1 tb wd i see it but can access it what will be the problem?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    How many HDD's are in the computer? How many are actually useable? How are the drives connected? Have you verified both the data and power cables are properly attached? Are all of the drives listed in Windows Disk Management?

3. Tonyvl06

Tonyvl06 Thread Starter

1 HDD,1SSD,1Optical DVD,SSd and optical are fuly useable,Drives are Sata conected,yes werifaied 2 times cabels are attached,SSd is listed in windows disk management the hdd no but in bios is listed.

4. Tonyvl06

Tonyvl06 Thread Starter

ok i removed the dvd drive then put the hdd in exact same sata location on motherboard were the dvd was,the power cable i let it the same,definitely the power cable and connector is ok,naw it works but is sata 2.0,when i change and connect on sata 3.0 connector on motherboard is making the same problem the hdd is visible in bios but not in windows,the motherboard is have 3 sata connectors 1 white-sata 2.0 1 black-sata 3.0 1 blue-sata6.0,what it will be the problem the sata connector is faulty or motherboard do not support 2 drives connected in sata 3.0 and 6.0 ore maybe i need to put the jumper on hdd,i think to replace the hdd with a ssd but i fear that i will have the same problem then .

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Jumpers aren't needed when using SATA connected drives. If there are 3 SATA connectors, then it should support drives. Ensure all of the SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS.

Which form factor is the PC? There appear to be four variations of the 790.

6. Tonyvl06

Tonyvl06 Thread Starter

OptiPlex 790 (Desktop) https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-790_owner's manual2_en-us.pdf

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/sho...one-pcs/optiplex-790-options/spd/optiplex-790

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    According to the specs, as you already noted, it does have 3 SATA ports:
    STORAGE CONTROLLER
    • Interface Type
      Serial ATA-600
    • Channel Qty
    • Type
      Serial ATA
    • Installed Qty
    STORAGE CONTROLLER (2ND)
    • Type
      1 x SATA - integrated
    • Controller Interface Type
      Serial ATA-300
    • Channel Qty
    • Installed Qty

After insuring all of the ports are enabled as noted above, I would use which ever drive appears to be working, and test each port one at a time. That will verify is all of the ports are working.

Second, I would then test each of the drives, one at a time, on a working port. That will verify all of the drives are working.

At which point we can decide on a course of action.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice