1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not being recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philip kirkham, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philip kirkham

philip kirkham Thread Starter

Good Afternoon,

I have a 20GB SV2044D samsung hard drive which i previuosly have had problems installing into a computer. At work we also have an HP Brio 400Mhz with sufficient ram and a 4GB hard drive, which we want to add a new hard drive to, we bought a 160GB IDE Hitachi SKU 873541 hard drive and want to replace the 4GB with this 160GB, problem is that in both cases they are not recognised.

In the case of the works 160GB, this a virgin drive - never been installed before, the brio appears to recognse the drive in the device manager and on boot up, in the bios it is recognised and for some reason only is listed as just over 8GB in size !.

But in My Computer - it is not shown, is there a way of getting the pc to recognise it, we are attempting to create an image of the 4GB and transfer it to the 160GB and then use this as the Master using GHOST, intentionally retiring the 4GB.

In the case of the SV, it did originally work, but now does not seem to want to work with any pc, is there a way of also getting this to work?

If there is a quick way of resolving these, i would be very greatful.

Best regards
    Phil

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

That computer is so old it probably needs a bios upgrade to see more than 8 gb. However the drive also needs to be formatted and partitioned before you can see it in My Computer anyway and without knowing your OS, I can't help any more than that.

3. philip kirkham

In the case of the 160GB i don't know if the director had formatted the drive, whereas the 20GB sv, i tried to format it using the boot disk facilities of a win 98 machine and it has trie to format it and it still cannot be seen.

The 20GB sv has been tried in an AMD DC 4200 running xp professional, although i suppose trying to format it again in a machine may be the only solution, whereas the Brio is a upgraded win98 to xp professional, it has a 4GB hard disk, hense the reason for trying to image file all the 4GB onto the 160GB.

What options would you suggest for getting the 20GB sv formatted, i have an old copy of xp home which is now defunct as i could not fit it into an old pc of mine from another permanently, but i could use it for 30 days, well actually use it for the formatting facility.
    (or have i answer my own question)

Best regards

4. bonk

bonk Banned

5. philip kirkham

thanks for the link, trying the home edition xp format for the 20GB sv, in FAT format, i was going to put it in NTFS but the works one is still in FAT32 and would probably not recognise it.

As a matter of interest, as the file for superfdisk is greater than 5MB, how could i get it to load on a disk with probably no o/s present?

best regards

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Do you have access to another PC so you can download it ......

7. philip kirkham

well it formatted under a set of xp format disks, but it still will not get recognised, i think this 20GB sv is definetly dead, i will have to see if a 40GB i have can be seen by the works pc, and then clean all of the details off it so it can be used by works.

8. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

you're running xp right, well go onto computer managment, then go storage, and then into Disk Managment.

It Might appear there...

9. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

you're running xp right, well go onto computer managment, then go storage, and then into Disk Managment.

It Might appear there...

10. philip kirkham

Sorry BONK for the delay, downloaded the program to this pc, but not run it yet, it appears the MD has decided to replace all the hardware, but as he needs a dos running pc, the other HP Brio will need to be used, and there in lies another post in a different forum.

when i get time i will try to format the 20GB sv and post a reply on how i got on.
    Best regards
    phil

11. philip kirkham

Thanks Mclarenvj, i will try that before i run the superfdisk program, sorry about the delay, as per the above reply to bonk, i have had to scour the web for recomending the new hardware which has left me with little time to do anything else, that and the normal workload.
    Best regards
    phil

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice