Hard drive not detected after installing new motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Siko45

The motherboard in my Alienware X51 R2 was recently fried by lightning. Sucks, but no biggie, I replaced it. The problem is that when I did, I get a message that no hard hard drive is detected and to try reseating it. I did of course, and then received the same message. Checked all my conecttions, they were good. So I pop in another hard drive I had that I know is good. Same message.

Now ruling out the motherboard, and the hard drive, my guess is its got to be something connecting the 2. Faulty wires maybe? Or a middleman piece of hardware that I'm not aware of.

Now to throw a curve ball at you, it won't access my bios, my diagnostics, or set up menus. Somebody point me in the right direction here.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
whered you get the replacement....sound like it might be bad tbh. could also be the SATA cables

Siko45

whered you get the replacement....sound like it might be bad tbh. could also be the SATA cables

Ordered it new off amazon. Everything seemed to c heck out with the seller though, but you never really know.
THB... that's one I'm not familiar with. I'm ametuer, self taught, but I do know more than average bear.
And I don't know why, but I have drawn to those SATA cables. I'm gonna call it instinct. I feel like its cables.

Siko45

Lol. My bad.
Yeah that's what my guts going with. Could it be something other than the SATAs? Everythings wrapped up. I don't want to start slicing cables to trace wires out. I'd love to be able to narrow down what connects the 2.

Saturable

Mark
Just look for whatever cable is connecting the hard disk to the motherboard. That's the one that needs replacing.

crjdriver

What exact mb did you install? Some boards have the sata ports in the bios disabled by default and you need to enable each one you intend on using. Was this new board an exact replacement of the old one or is this an asus, gigabyte, etc?
Some performance boards have multiple sata controllers and you need to be sure of which one you are using.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online