Hard drive not detected!!! help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kirstlaw

:confused:
i am trying to set up an old computer for my ill cousin and i Know nothing about computers!! Originally when turned on it says operating system not found, so i tried reinstalling windows98 and then it tells me that the computer has no harddrive or there is a problem with it or it might need a special device driver. So I am stuck, no clue where to go next...please help!!

did you open the case? make sure the cables are tightly connected on the hard drive. what kind of drive is it? name brand? do you have more than one drive?

kirstlaw

I have opened the case and not really sure what i am looking at, as i said, complete novice!! but there doesnt seem to be any loose connections on what i believe is the hard drive. there is only one drive and don't know make but front of unit says hard drive 15gb ultra DMA althought i am sure that is no help at all!

There's a picture of the inside of a typical computer tower here;

http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/cage_reinstalled.jpg

The front panel (power, CD/DVD, floppy access) is on the right. (Viewed into the left side.) CD's and DVD's are mounted at the top in the full/wide bays, and the floppy and hard disks are mounted in the smaller "cage" below.

In this picture the (two) hard disks are black on the sides where they're screwed into the cage. The floppy (silver) is above the hard disks.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what to look for.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online