Hard drive not detected??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Minerva123

When I boot up my laptop it says that it couldn't find the hard drive or the checking media [failed]. I tried looking into my laptop to see if the hard drive was connected right and it is. When I turn on the laptop it makes this clicking sound which leads me to believe the fan is not working maybe?? This drive has windows 8.1 I have some files that I need that are in there. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Getting to work again? Thank you - Minerva

valis

it sounds like your hard drive has died, especially with the 'click of death' sound happening. If the data isn't backed up, it may be gone. You can try using an external disk enclosure (you can pick those up for $20 or so), and connect it to a different pc as a USB drive, but again, if that data isn't backed up, it may be gone forever.

What is the make/model of the laptop?

Minerva123

it sounds like your hard drive has died, especially with the 'click of death' sound happening. If the data isn't backed up, it may be gone. You can try using an external disk enclosure (you can pick those up for $20 or so), and connect it to a different pc as a USB drive, but again, if that data isn't backed up, it may be gone forever.

What is the make/model of the laptop?
Its a Toshiba

valis

I was hoping it was a dell, as those have diagnostics available at boot. Toshiba does not, as far as I know.

valis

it can't hurt to try the disk enclosure; I've been surprised in the past by hd's with the click of death that I managed to get some data off of.

a good rule of thumb is data that isn't backed up is data you neither need nor want. I've got 2 external WD passport drives, and synch them both weekly. That way if the pc dies, I've got data in two other places.

Minerva123

it can't hurt to try the disk enclosure; I've been surprised in the past by hd's with the click of death that I managed to get some data off of.

a good rule of thumb is data that isn't backed up is data you neither need nor want. I've got 2 external WD passport drives, and synch them both weekly. That way if the pc dies, I've got data in two other places.
With the data I take out can I some how copy and put it into another hard drive?

valis

an enclosure just plugs into a different pc via usb, so you would be treating it just as you would a usb thumb drive. If (and that's a big if) the drive spins up, just browse it as you would a normal usb key, and then copy/paste to a folder on the pc you plugged it into.

Minerva123

an enclosure just plugs into a different pc via usb, so you would be treating it just as you would a usb thumb drive. If (and that's a big if) the drive spins up, just browse it as you would a normal usb key, and then copy/paste to a folder on the pc you plugged it into.
Thank you I'll see if this works for me

valis

If you have any questions about getting the old HD out, don't hesitate to ask them here. It's pretty simple.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online