1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Walid999, Sep 23, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Walid999

Walid999 Thread Starter

My HP Pavilion i5 8th gen (Windows 10) gave SMART ERROR for Internal Hard Disk and after few days computer was not able to detect the HDD. Now the computer won't start and shows
    Boot Device Not Found 3F0 error
    When I go in diagnostics for HDD it says check whether the cable are attached properly but the computer repair guy said that replacing the HDD is the only way but I don't want to spend that much money. Is there any option or is there anyway that I can still use my HDD without replacing it
    Regards

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open the case and check/reseat the connections. If you still have the problem, you need a new hard drive.

Walid999 likes this.
  3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's possible that the drive is bad since you got the smart error. Perhaps the HP diagnostics can help. From a shut down state, turn on the computer then hit F2 repeatedly undil the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI comes up. Then click on components test, then hard drive, then if available - Extensive test.

What is the model number, part number, and SN of your HP machine?

Walid999 likes this.
  4. Walid999

Walid999 Thread Starter

I did the Extensive test and it says check whether the cables are connected properly
    And crjdriver I'll try what you suggested.
    Thanks for quick responses you guys rock

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Drives are cheap. If the cables are fine, a new 2TB WD Black series drive is $120. You can get cheaper drives however the black series is a high quality drive with a 5yr warranty. You can get a WD blue drive for $55 however those only have a 2yr warranty.

Walid999 likes this.
  6. lynx1021

lynx1021

7. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

If you have another of the EXACT same hard drive and model you could try a circuit board transplant -though those don't always work and no guarntee if it does how long it work. The safer thing to do is get another hard drive if the below doesn't fix the issue.

Also maybe try a different power connector on a different power cable line sometimes a power connector can burn out -which can mean a PSU may be in the near future of being needed as well.

I agree to the Black series unless it is going to be a 24/7 machine then I would go for the WD 2TB GOLD line -not to be confused with the Ultrastar line -they may be a bit louder though:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z4-0002-002V0

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice