1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Not Detected?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zb2k, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zb2k

Zb2k Thread Starter

I am trying to reinstall windows and it is telling me that my "hard drive is not detected" which makes no sense because windows is currently installed on it and I boot the computer from the hard drive that it's installed on all the time. Anyone know what's going on?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Is it a fresh install you're trying to do not an overwrite of the current installation? Is it a SATA or older IDE or PATA drive?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

You have not told us any of your hardware so a real good answer is of course impossible, but if you have a sata drive and you are booting to it as you shaoul be to setup, then some older boards require a sata driver for setup you install by hitting f6 when requested early in setup, and putting in a floppy with that driver.

4. Zb2k

Zb2k Thread Starter

I am trying to overwrite an already existing version of Windows. I went to the device manager, and under Disk drives it said "WDC WD80 0JD-00LUA0 SCSI Disk Device". That was the only thing listed. I know my hard disk drive is a Western Digital and that it is 80gb. So the "WDC" probably stands for Western Digital Corporation or something, and the "WD80" part makes sense since it's 80gigs. How do I find out if it's SATA, IDE, or a PATA? Thank you.

5. Zb2k

Zb2k Thread Starter

6. norton850

norton850

Windows will show SATA drives as SCSI so you probable have a SATA drive. How are you trying to reinstall Windows?

7. Zb2k

Zb2k Thread Starter

By setting the CD-ROM as the primary boot priority and having the Windows install disc in there. The only options the disc give me are repair, install, and cancel the installation. When I try to install (I haven't uninstalled it yet) it says I have no hard disk drive which is false and I am running the computer and Windows from the HDD as I type this.

8. Zb2k

Zb2k Thread Starter

I just opened up the case and looked, it is a Serial ATA drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice