1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Not Found Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by susanlprince, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. susanlprince

susanlprince Thread Starter

When starting my computer, I have started getting a "Hard Drive Not Found" error on the black screen just as the pc starts booting up. I've not written down all the details, but I see the MAC address displayed and a cursor blinks just after the letters DHCP, there is something about "boot filename not received", then "Hard Drive not found" and then it defaults to the Windows boot screen and will boot up fine. The pc seems to run normal once up...but, I'm somewhat concerned about a "Hard Drive Not Found" error. It just doesn't sound good.

I'm going to try to get more specifics as to what I'm seeing on the boot screens, but wondered if anyone here might have some suggestions as to what my issue is?

Thanks in advance for any help.

My pc specs should show in my signature. Also, I recently upgraded my graphics card, but that's the only hardware I've been playing with lately. Don't know if that would make any difference because I wasn't getting any trouble until now and that graphics card has been in about a week already.

-Sue

2. Goku

Goku

Ok Sue, from what I read I understood you got a Hard Drive not found error message during boot. If this assumption of mine is correct, then I might provide you with a solution. There might be four causes for your problem:

>> Your Hard Drive has gone bad or has been damaged.
    >> The BIOS has been misconfigured.
    >> The partition structure is damaged.
    >> You have been infected with a virus.

My Sources:

>> Boot error: "Hard drive not found...."
    >> 7 Most Common Symptoms of Data Loss

For this, I recommend you to try to restore your BIOS settings to default. This article will help you in doing so:

>> BIOS Settings

Try and see if it helps. Good Luck.(y)

3. susanlprince

Thanks for the suggestion...

No virus, and when I have a little more time I'll look into the other things.

BIOS settings? That scares me a bit to get myself involved in.

-Sue

4. Goku

Goku

Good to know that you don't have a virus. If you are quite confident about it, then I will eliminate the possibility. If it's a CMOS battery problem, then you will be experiencing some other symptoms too like incorrect data/ time, BIOS settings altered after every boot, etc. If these symptoms are not seen, then your CMOS battery is in a pretty good shape. If you do experience these symptoms or something similar, then it is time for a new CMOS battery.

Symptoms of a dying CMOS battery
    The Power Within - A Guide To Replacing Your CMOS Battery
    Replacing your CMOS Battery

If you are sure that it is not your hard drive, then it must be your BIOS. Go to the link in my previous post and back up your BIOS settings. Next move into your BIOS and restore it to it's defaults. This will normally not harm a computer so you can be confident about it. Try it and see if it helps. I cannot move onto a next conclusion until I can confirm that BIOS is not the problem. Hope you understand the urgency of the verification. Good Luck.(y)

5. susanlprince

I'm off to work today, but tomorrow I'll have a little more time to tinker. I'll probably go ahead and replace the CMOS anyway because this pc is 4 years old and I've never done that with this one. Probably a good time to.

On some other forums I noted that the error I was getting was similar to other's having trouble with the pc trying to boot off a network card? INTEL PXE and then trying to locate DHCP...I did go into BIOS and disabled PXE boot and that solved the issue, although when I booted up today, the pc was asking for a boot device. Powered off and back on again and everything came up fine.

Like I said, I'll have more time to tinker around with this tomorrow. Thanks for your replies and your time on this.

-Sue

6. Goku

Goku

Sure. Tinker as much as you want but be careful. Tinkering can be dangerous if done carelessly. Your best bet is to do it is when you are not stressed and have plenty of time. In this way, even if you mess something, you will find a way our. Also, try to have a back up of everything you tinker. This is just to ensure that you remain on the safe side always. One more request. Can you please provide me the link to the "other forum" where you read about the network card? I will be then able to learn one more possibility of the problem. Good Luck with your tinkering but make sure you have a fool-proof back up. :)

7. susanlprince

Here's one:

http://www.computing.net/windows2003...orum/3408.html

and another Techguy post:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95...3-no-boot.html

Now today, the pc is hanging at the Gateway Splash screen as though it is waiting for me to choose "Boot Menu" or "BIOS Settings" (F10 or F2)

I can still get the pc up and running without too much effort and once up it is fine. I think I will replace the CMOS battery tomorrow and see what happens, won't hurt anything and it's probably about time anyway.

I'll have more time tomorrow to "tinker" and troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue.

I've made a full backup of everything so I'm good there.

Thanks again!

-Sue

8. snow_dog_2002

snow_dog_2002

From the description of your problem and error message you gave about DHCP it, sounds as though your bios is attempting to boot from LAN (Local Area Network).
    At system boot, enter your bios setup utility and check your boot sequence. Make sure it is set to boot from the Hard Drive and, not LAN.
    Save your settings and Reboot. :)

9. susanlprince

I did that as step #1 snow_dog, and that helped.

I changed the CMOS battery. In order to do that, I had to remove the soundcard which then created a new host of issues with Windows wanting to again install drivers for the "new hardware found". I dealt with that.

Now when booting, I'm hearing some telltale signs of problems because of the warning beeps, but I have no clue what they are telling me.

Boot up is fine now, but there is still some type of problem. I'll have to pay attention to the beeps and try to figure out what my computer is trying to tell me.

Thanks for all the suggestions people!

-Sue

10. Goku

Goku

Do you really want any more help with your side - issues? If you do, please openly tell us about it. We will be glad to help you. :)

By the way, one question. Why did you remove the sound card in order to replace the CMOS battery. Was it obstructing the path?

11. susanlprince

Yes, I removed the soundcard because it was in the way and I couldn't get the battery out without moving it.

Ok, bootup today was right back to the original problem.

Beep sequence:

one beep...then maybe 5 seconds of silence.

Then two beeps: long - short, back to back and the second is higher pitched.

Then about 2 seoconds later another short, high pitched beep.

Then I see "Hard Drive Not Found" press esc or enter to continue.

The next screen comes up with Intel information and seems as though its trying to boot from dhcp and then "boot filename not received".

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/621440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice