1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not reading right size.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vboccio, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vboccio

vboccio Thread Starter

I have a Western Digital 1200JB specialedition 120gb hard drive and for some reason the size is shown as 112GB . The motherboard is Brand new so I know that the bios of the ASUS board I just installed can recognize the larger drive plus I just flash my BIOS so there should be know problem Whats up? Anyone have any ideas?

2. Mustnged

Mustnged

Even though it is a 120gb hard drive, your computer is correct by seeing 112gb. After the partition, format, this is all you will get out of the drive. I have the same hard drive and my computer sees 112gb also. It is normal. You may get a bit more space if you partition the drive into two.

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

Also remember that hard drive manufacturers have been sleezy since 1991 when they started redefining a megabyte as 1,000 kilobytes as opposed to 1024kb which means that your 120gb drive = 120 x 1000kb x 1000mb as opposed to the correct 120 x 1024mb x 1024kb

And yes this does make you loose around 6gb of space compared to what you would have had if they used the normal computer definition of megabyte.

Cheers

4. vboccio

vboccio Thread Starter

Yeas I realized that they sue the 1000 instead of the 1024 which is the way it has been from the beginnig because of parity bits and so on. I just didn't do the math . Thanks for the info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice