1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not recognized in old system after copying

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by osp001, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osp001

osp001 Thread Starter

I removed the hard drive out of my old system and hooked it into my new system to copy over all the data. It's an old Maxtor, pushing 5 years old by now. I moved the jumper over to slave, copied the data, and kept it out for a couple of weeks.

When I re-installed it into the original box (both computers run XP- the old system runs Home edition, new box runs Pro), it gave me the blue HP welcome screen, and then nothing but a blinking cursor. I switched it back to Master, and re-booted it. Same deal. I removed all peripherals, rebooted, and the only thing I got was:

Master boot record error

After re-starting a couple more times, I got the "Operating system not found," and "Push any key" (I think it was) errors.

Finally, I removed the drive back to the new system- and all my data are there. All of it, fortunately, has been copied over to the new drive.

The drive has its own built-in recovery partition; I can't seem to get into it.

While I'm not above just re-loading the entire OS and doing away with all my old data, it sure would be nice not to have to do this. Any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice