1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by limparu, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. limparu

limparu Thread Starter

I have WD passport 500 GB. but now it can not recognized in my computer. The light is on and there is thicking too but the drive not shown in computer and the disk management. Please help me how to recovery my data ?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its not showing up anywhere and i guess you mean its ticking it sounds like the hard drive is dying or has died. you might try a usb sata/ide connector and see if you can recover anything.

3. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    The clicking is a sign of a head crash. Drive is dead, no data can be recovered. Any other hard drive error can be worked with in some way, but not a head crash. The only way out to recover is professional data recovery.

It has been my experience that some hard drives "act" like a head crash when connected with a non-native interface. For example, I have a pair of WD Caviar Black drives that run like a champ when connected directly to a SATA-II interface. But when I try to use a USB adapter, or slow them down with a jumper to connect to a SATA-I interface, they act like head crashing - ticking and all.

My suggestion is open it up and look into the hard drive itself, find out what it's native interface really is (SATA-II, etc) and connect it that way, instead of through USB. Perhaps then, there may be some hope. It's a slim chance, but worth a try.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice