1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jsoules1, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsoules1

jsoules1 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I"m running a home-built computer with a mach-speed MB, a Celeron 2.0G processor,256Mb DDR RAM, a DVD-Rom, CD/RW,and I'm running Win 98 SE. I was doing a little experimenting with a couple of old hard drives I aquired (they're both about 3Gig). I put them both in my machine and loaded my OS (Windows 98 SE).I formatted and partitioned both drives. One I jumpered as "primary-master" and the other I jumpered as "primary-slave". Everything worked fine. I drag/dropped some files onto the slave drive .

I switched my "primary-master" to a larger hard drive and reloaded my OS (formatting before loading my Windows 98SE OS). this time when I went to Windows explorer to move the files to the larger drive, the smaller one was not shown. I re-booted the machine and in the start-up, I see the drive listed , but I can't find it in My Computer or Windows Explorer. I've double, triple and quadruple checked my jumper positions and cable positions and everything is as it should be. I hear and feel the drive respond when I boot the machine and the indicator light comes on while the machine is booting.

The files aren't "that" important that I can't reformat the drive or even chuck it; however, I did put some music files on it that I'd like to "try" to get back. I'm more interested in the learning end of this dilemma. I could probably take it to a shop and see if they can get my files back, but I don't think the files are important enough to spend that much money for,you know?Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg

I would try connecting just the drive your having a problem with by itself as master or slave just to see if it is recognized. Then at least you know the drive didn't die and its just a configuration problem.

Also I think I have seen on some drives there is jumper setting for "master" and another setting for "master w/slave present" You may want to check that on the new drive you installed.

3. jsoules1

jsoules1 Thread Starter

Hi George,

Thank you for the reply:

I've tried to connect the "missing" drive by itself, in both configurations ( as master and as slave). and the system recognizes it but since it does not have the OS installed, it won't boot. This I'm sure is normal. I will look at the other drive to see if there is a setting for the jumper to "include" the slave drive and get back to you.

I do hope that others will add their input as well.

Again, thank you for replying,

Jim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice