1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guyrelax, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guyrelax

guyrelax Thread Starter

I can't seem to get my SATA drive working after reformatting. I ran disk cleanup and had to wipe my hard drive after I accidentally deleted some system files. Then when I went to reload everything, my computer doesn't see the hard drive. I don't believe there is a problem with the drive, I think I'm just not sure how to set it up properly. I'm using an IDE hard drive now with XP just to have something, but I need to get the sata working. I was able to recognize it on XP (from the ide drive) and recover some files before reformatting. But since I can't recognize the drive

any help is GREATLY appreciated

thanks

Nick

ABIT AV8 Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard -

SAPPHIRE 1024-TC13-05-SAL Radeon 9250 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Track 1 NEC DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3540A - OEM

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1.8GHz Socket 939

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

You need to install the SATA drivers during the WIN XP installation from floppy disk or CD.

Press F6 when asked about installing other drivers and have the disk ready.

The XP installation will then install the SATA drivers and continues with th einstallation.

Look on your motherboard manufacturers web site or CD's supplied with motherboard for the drivers.

hth

Ceri

3. BlueBelton

BlueBelton

Hi,

I hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread - but I have a very similar problem.

I have just purchased a Hitachi 250Gb SATA drive, attached the red SATA cable and the power (have tried both types independently). The computer - not Windows - fails to recognise the drive as valid. It knows it has been installed but says "No Disk Serial Raid Bus VT8237 Set up Utility V1.2 - Hardware Initiation Failed. Please Check drive!!. The Bios does not be installed" (Their grammar, not mine).

(Via Technologies chipset - hence VT)

Is my problem the same as the initial one here or should I start a new tile? Apologies if I've erred.

I am running CD and DVD Roms and an existing IDE HDD - but I removed all IDE cables in order to isolate the problem after initial failure and the problem was precisely the same.

Cheers BB.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice