1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pideja, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pideja

pideja Thread Starter

I run WIN XP Pro on a Dell desktop that has two hard drive. I recently installed a CD drive and upon rebooting, the secondary drive (D), although recognized by the startup (BIOS), is no longer present when Windows finally opens. It's not present in the device manager and all shortcuts to it are null. All the bables are correctly installed and I've tried rebooting, re-installing the drive to no avail. Any ideas what might be going on?:confused:

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

If you just installed new hardware I would check all the connections in pc.Check your jumper settings since you added hardware

3. pideja

pideja Thread Starter

All connections are as previous to the installation. So, it should work. Can the new CD drive have something to do with this situation? I can't see how. If the BIOS "sees" the drive, then it must be a Windows software problem, no?

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

dis connect cd-- put back hardware the way it was BF install of CD drive.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you add a new drive to any IDE cable there are drive select jumpers on the drives and if one of the drives disappears then the drive select jumpers ARE set wrong. Sometimes the secondary hard drives do not go by the setting rules and you have to say experiment to get it to work with whatever it has on it so start moving the jumper around and write down what you do as you do it just to keep the original settings and stuff.

6. pideja

pideja Thread Starter

What I did was change an older CD drive by a newer one. So I guess that all jumpers should remain as they where...I'll check the jumpers on the CD drive.

7. pideja

pideja Thread Starter

I removed the CD drive and rebooted. Same effect. I'll check to see if the jumpers on the CD drive might hinder the second hard drive.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What kind of IDE cable do you have is it a 40-wire or an 80-wire? The 80-wire is smoother than the 40-wire.

9. pideja

pideja Thread Starter

Not too sure: seems stiff, but it's been there since...1999! Markings are: IDE 1, DR2, 30AWG 150V...

10. pideja

pideja Thread Starter

I've swithed cables; removed the CD drive; put it back; changed the jumper settings around on the CD drive nothing works.

11. tripout

tripout

I think it is your boot configuration.If you can see it in BIOS. Repair the BOOTCFG with your Windows cd,then boot up to cd to the recovery thingy. ADD drive to BOOTCFG command and add the drive you are looking for. EXIT to reboot,and that's it ,your done.

12. pideja

pideja Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, problem solved a while back.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah but what solved it?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice