Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard drive not recognized

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
I run WIN XP Pro on a Dell desktop that has two hard drive. I recently installed a CD drive and upon rebooting, the secondary drive (D), although recognized by the startup (BIOS), is no longer present when Windows finally opens. It's not present in the device manager and all shortcuts to it are null. All the bables are correctly installed and I've tried rebooting, re-installing the drive to no avail. Any ideas what might be going on?:confused:

#5 ·
If you add a new drive to any IDE cable there are drive select jumpers on the drives and if one of the drives disappears then the drive select jumpers ARE set wrong. Sometimes the secondary hard drives do not go by the setting rules and you have to say experiment to get it to work with whatever it has on it so start moving the jumper around and write down what you do as you do it just to keep the original settings and stuff.

#8 ·
What kind of IDE cable do you have is it a 40-wire or an 80-wire? The 80-wire is smoother than the 40-wire.

#11 ·
pideja said:
I run WIN XP Pro on a Dell desktop that has two hard drive. I recently installed a CD drive and upon rebooting, the secondary drive (D), although recognized by the startup (BIOS), is no longer present when Windows finally opens. It's not present in the device manager and all shortcuts to it are null. All the bables are correctly installed and I've tried rebooting, re-installing the drive to no avail. Any ideas what might be going on?:confused:
I think it is your boot configuration.If you can see it in BIOS. Repair the BOOTCFG with your Windows cd,then boot up to cd to the recovery thingy. ADD drive to BOOTCFG command and add the drive you are looking for. EXIT to reboot,and that's it ,your done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.