1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwv13, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I have a problem; I'm repairing a gateway emachines T6420 with xp, media center pc. When it tries to boot it comes up with disk boot failure, insert boot disk (no change after inserting disk)! I went into bios and of course it's not recognizing any drives, not even the cd/dvd. I replaced the hard drive and cd; the connections are good. Is ther anything I can check other than what I've already done; any suggestions at all!! Please help! Is there a setting in bios I should be looking at? Any help would be deeply appreciated:)

2. bigbear

bigbear

Are these pata or sata drives? are they enabled in bios?

3. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

IDE, not sure what a pata is but it's not sata

4. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

in bios it says NONE next to master, slave along with secondary (NONE)

5. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

yes, they are enabled in bios.

6. bigbear

bigbear

Pata, ata, ide all the same.
    Is the hard drive and the cdrom on the same ribbon?
    Are they jumperd correctly?
    Depending on how new the board is there might be an option to enable pata.
    Also try changing the ribbon

7. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

they're jumped correctly, I changed the ribbon, but the HD has a seperate ribbon and the board is about 3 years old, I'll look to see if there is a setting for pata. thanks

8. bigbear

bigbear

If bios is not recognising the drives then I suspect there is a problem with the onboard pata controllers.
    The only way to test is to see if the drives are ok by try them in another machine, then you will know if it is the motherboard at fault.

9. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

thanks

10. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help bigbear! I actually have two emachines I'm repairing with similar problems; so I took a hard drive out of one, replaced the power supply on the other, put a graphics card in the same one and I at least have one accepting the OS installation. Not bad considering I could get neither to boot at all

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice