Hard drive not showing in My Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ccdand?

Arhlene
Hi, I added a second hard drive for storage in my computer (Win XP Pro). I can see the drive in the device manager but it doesn't show up in My Computer. How do I fix that?

Sorry I realize now that the article only explained partitioning. After it is partitioned then in Device Management right click on the drive and choose format. Be careful with both partioning and formatting that you don't choose your original drive. Something that is easy to do (Yes I admit that I've done it.)

ccdand?

Arhlene
Ok, now whenever I click on My Computer it takes a long time for the contents to show. Also, when I enter a web address in Internet Explorer it takes a long time to find it. Why? And can that be fixed?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Did the problem start with the addition of the new drive?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You might check the jumpering then to be sure it's correct. Some drives, WD especially, has a different jumpering method if the drive isn't by itself on the cable.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I don't have an IBM drive in front of me to check, it should have come with a small user's manual, or you can check IBM's website (actually, the drive division was bought out by Hitachi) for jumpering diagrams.

So, I'm assuming the drive is not new then?

ccdand?

Arhlene
The IBM has different settings for "16 heads" and "15 heads". What does that mean?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, so now you've thrown WD into the fiasco :D

Check them both.

ccdand?

Arhlene
I don't know which setting to use for the IBM. It shows one setting for "16 heads" and another for "15 heads".

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online