Hard drive not there or is it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n79ford

Ok i recently put in a 120 gig hard drive that i got from a friend with important business files on it.(for me to print off) but i put it in and turn the box on and go to device manager and the box sees the hard drive and says it is working correctly, but when i got to my computer to acess the drive it is not there. any ideas?:confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you'd specify some details, like how you attached it, the age of your BIOS, what file format the drive is (was) in, etc. we might be able to help.

n79ford

dont really know the "age" of my bios, it is a little bit older chaintech board, file system is NTFS, and i attached it with and IDE cable then the power supply, after i screwed it in to the box

?any helpful information?

If the motherboard is older than ~3 years and the BIOS has never been flashed, then it's very probable that Windows will not recognize any drive larger than 20 - 40Gb

If you could provide motherboard model # and BIOS version/date,
then we should be able to give you a more definite answer.

You can use Aida32 to find this information:
http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

If it is too old, then one known workaround is to use a Hotrod port.
This is a pci card with two IDE hard drive connectors.
My hotrod ports recognizes any drive up to 128Gb
(basically, it uses its own chip & bios, independent of the mobo)

Another possibility is that you're maybe using an old 40-pin IDE cable, when the drive requires an 80-pin Ultra ATA cable instead.

Also, which IDE slot did you put the drive in?
IDE 1 or 2
Is it sharing the IDE with another drive?
If so, did you adjust the jumper settings accordingly?
(eg. so that your drive with your OS on is master, and this other drive is slave)

Finally, what OS are you using?
And is this drive also formatted in NTFS ?

n79ford

i am using XP home, and i have a 40 gig in there now that is supportin my operating system. the ide i borrowed from another new maxtor drive that i bought
i have the drives as cable select
and have tried them both ways one as the master and one as the seccondary and vice versa

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 02/04/2002-8361-8231-IV6LTC0lC-00
Motherboard Name Chaintech 7AIVL

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz
Effective Clock 133 MHz
Bandwidth 1067 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 ACR, 1 CNR
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 210 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset KLE133

I can't seem to find a manual (as yet)
(see 2nd url in edited post above)
but looking through the Test Report (PDF)
on page 27, the largest HD tested was 40Gb

If the hard drive you just put in the system has an NTFS file system (from windows NT, 2000 or XP) it will not be seen as a drive on a machine running 95, 98 or ME. This may be why it can see the drive as a device, yet it cant read the file system. If this is the case, you will have to boot the drive on an NTFS based operating system.

n79ford's OS is WinXP Home
Though we haven't yet established whether the drive with the OS on is NTFS or FAT32 (though I did ask this question earlier)

n79ford

I have went out and bought the upgrade to XP pro and now my hard drive is there!!! thanks yall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online