1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Not working Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HYDRO420BOY, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HYDRO420BOY

HYDRO420BOY Thread Starter

Sorry about writing so much but I've been banging my head against the wall for about a week trying to get this thing to work I do not know any thing else PLEASE HELLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hay, guys I have a problem I just bought an external hard drive, specificity
    a cavalry CAXE 1Tb external HD, and I can not get windows to recanize it to
    save my life. When I connect it to my computer via usb, it comes up for a sec and tries to download a driver but it inevitably fails, then if i try to look it up in my device manager I can see it as an unknown device but that is it I can not get any more info i can't format it i can't really to any thing with it from there, and if i look at my disk manager with it pluged in this is what is from the top middle part where it list volume, layout, type, file system, and status I can see 4 disk drives the fist says nothing under volume layout and type are simple and basic file system is blank and status is healthy. The next disk drive is my C: witch is marked under volume and under file system I can see NTFS and its status is healthy and the last 2 drives are my ipod and my WD 360Gb EX HD and both of there file systems are FAT32 below that it starts listing disks from 0 to 4 for disk 0 it says Basic online 149gb
    and it has 2 blocks to the right of it the first block says 7.92gb Healthy EISA configuration and to the right of that box is the box with the onfo of my C: 141.13gb NTFS Healthy and thay both have a blue stripe on the top
    of them below that are the next 2 drive blocks witch are both removable and empty the next drive down is disk 3 witch is listed as removable 55.89gb and online with 2 blocks to the right of them the first of them has a black stripe on top and is 110mb unallocated the next 2 are my ipod and my other EX HD. What is wrong with it its brand new so in can't be broken but then why can i not bring it up or get any info from it the HD says it needs drivers to work but the company says that in xp and vista it needs no drivers I have been all over the net and can not find any help most people tell me to give it a drive letter but the only time I can see it is in the device manager as unknown and I can't make any changes and if i go to the disk manager where I can make changes I can't see the drive alot of people said that I should be able to see the drive by the size of it but the only thing that I can see there that i don't recanize is the first block witch is all of 7.92 gb witch I bet in just a portion of my C: I have no idea why it is portioned but I bet that is what it is and the unallocated space is just 110mb. I mean is there any way to check the plug and play software in the drive or reformat if from the command line or something there has to be something I can do please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. cg2028

cg2028

Was there a disk that came with the portable hard drive?
    I looked up some information on external hard drives and most of them will not work without a driver on the computer BEFORE they are plugged in. You should have received a disk with the driver on it with the purchase of the hard drive. If you install the driver, the hard drive might work. I hope this helps.

3. HYDRO420BOY

HYDRO420BOY Thread Starter

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, BUT YEA, TRIED THAT BUT THE TECH SUPPORT PEOPLE SAID THAT WITH VISTA DRIVERS ARE NOT NEEDED. I EVEN TRIED DOWNLOADING DRIVERS FOR OTHER WIN PLATFORMS BUT NO LUCK. RIGHT NOW THE DRIVE IS TELLING ME THAT IT'S NOT CONFIGURED CORRECTLY. (Code 1) DO YOU KNOW OF ANY WAY TO RECONFIGURE THE DRIVE WITH SOFTWARE NOT FROM CAVALRY OR CAVALRY THAT WILL WORK IN VISTA

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice