1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive only worked in one computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anasttin, Feb 13, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of hot water and hoping someone can help.

I had a western digital, 1 TB drive in my old computer with a lot of important data on it, only some of which was backed up (yes - I'm stupid). The drive was flagged as "E drive".

I recently had the CPU on that old computer start to go haywire, so I got a new PC before the old one completely failed, and I moved the 3 drives I had on my old pc (C drive, D drive and E drive) to the new pc, but the new pc wouldn't read the E drive.

Thinking I'd just installed it wrong, I moved the E drive back to my old PC and it read it fine.

Now I had another go to move it over and stupidly formatted the old PC's C drive and now can't get the E drive to be read anywhere.

If you look in the BIOS, it sees the E Drive, but windows 10 won't read it.

If I put the E drive into an external chassis and try to read it from there, Windows 10 sees the device was plugged in without any error messages, but won't let me copy from it.

Can anyone suggest what I might be able to do to recover the information?

Thanks so much in advance everyone as I'm facing the loss of hundreds of hours of work if I can't get this going.

Ana

2. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Oh... an interesting thing to add.

If I look at my PC in disk management through control panel, it lists the E drive as "Dynamic" and "Foreign" if that helps any.

It also has the yellow triangle with an exclamation in it indicating an error.

If I right-click it, I have the 3 options to choose from: "import foreign disk" or "convert to basic disk" or "offline".

Will any of these help? Just don't want to risk totally destroying the data.

Thanks again everyone.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Your E drive seems to be a dynamic disk, which is no longer supported.

Insert C and E back into the old computer. Re-install Windows on to C. Install a backup program and run it to backup E.

After you backuped the data in drive E. You can format it to basic disk. And restore all data. Then you will be able to use it on your new computer.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried right clicking on the disk and choose to import? If not, that is the first thing I would do. If that fails, there are third party programs that will convert a dynamic disk to basic without data loss however those are not free.

5. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Thanks so much LunarLander. I put a new drive into the old computer and installed windows 10 on it (I've been up all night), then installed the E drive, but I still can't see the E drive contents.

When you say dynamic disks are no longer supported, are you talking about the physical disk itself, and that my old computer hardware could read it but my new hardware never will? Or is it the new operating system that won't support it which doesn't seem to be the case because it was working before on my old computer with both Win 8 and Win 10.

If its hardware related, does it matter if the drives are not installed in the exact same motherboard slots? Does that have anything to do with it?

6. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver. I haven't done that and am a bit frozen not wanting to risk making the situation worse. Is there a chance that selecting "import" could make things worse? If not, I'll definitely try it.

I'm guessing that "convert to basic disk" will definitely not preserve my data based on what LunarLander said.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is always a chance of data loss when you mess around with drives; the reason why we stress backups SO much. In this case, there is not much chance of making things worse however no guarantees.
    If you use one of the third party programs, they will not destroy data; again NO guarantee.

If you do not want to take any chances, then take the drive to a shop and have them recover the data for you. Note this is NOT cheap. A very basic recovery such as this will run you $250 or so plus the cost of a drive to place the recovered data on; you cannot recover to the same drive you are scanning.

8. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver. I actually do back up key files, but when you have thousands of peripheral files that support the key files, backing up gets tougher.

I really appreciate your help and advice. I'm going to give it a go and will let you know what happens.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good luck.

10. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

OMG! It worked perfectly. As we speak, I'm copying the data from the old E drive to a fresh drive.

I can't thank you guys enough for your help. You're both amazing and I'm super appreciative.

Can I ask one more thing... Is there any reason for me to distrust the old E drive's reliability now? Do I need to "Convert to basic disk" or reformat it once I get the data off or is it now a perfectly compatible drive? Or should I throw it away?

Thanks again.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Personally I dislike dynamic disks and I would remove all partitions and create/format as a basic disk. There is no inherent reason to distrust the disk because it was originally a dynamic disk.
    I would test the drive with the drive mfg's diagnostic; download this from whomever mfg the drive ie seagate, WD, etc. Do ALL tests ie long and short. If it passes all tests, then you can use the drive.

Remember ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. As long as you have an image backup of the drive, no big deal; you just install the new drive and restore the image. Done.

12. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Hmmm.... I know how to format a drive, but not sure how to remove partitions.

Thanks so much for your help again crjdriver.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Many ways however the easiest for you would be to use disk management.

14. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Thanks again.

Have a great weekend. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice