1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive or motherboard issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pupdog, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pupdog

pupdog Thread Starter

I recently had to purchase a new system. I could not re boot my old system because it would start a reboot then go back to a message stating that the system got interupted during start up. Could not open in safe mode, system restore or open in any setting. Not sure if it was a virus, but would now like to reformat the drive to give to my father in law. Does this problem seem to be a hard drive issue or a spent motherboard issue. I just replaced the hard drive last year?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Did you get any funny noises from the HD before this happened?
    Did anything significant happen before it died?

Welcome to TSG! BTW :D

3. pupdog

pupdog Thread Starter

4. pupdog

pupdog Thread Starter

Actually it was my wife on computewr at the time it sent up a message that is was dumping info as she put it. By the time I got to the puter I could not reboot but no noise that I know of

5. pattlr

pattlr

Sounds like memory dump maybe?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you actually tried to format the hard drive yet?

7. pupdog

pupdog Thread Starter

First of all what would cause a memory dump as you put it?
    Have not tried reformatting as yet. Original os was win98 and then had upgraded to xp.
    Will be trying the reformat next. Really was hoping to be able to save whatever info was on hd before a reformat.

8. kronus

kronus

She probably saw a blue screen of death. It's not as bad as it sounds. Windows will stop your computer if it thinks a program or hardware is doing something dangerous. Often these are caused by corrupt drivers or failing hardware, but there are tons of reasons.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To check the drive, download and run the hd mgf's utility. It will check the drive and also it has an option to write zeros [LLF] to the drive. This will remove all data from the drive; if you want to give it to someone, it is a reasonably secure way of removing data.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/250733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice