1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive or power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dace, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dace

Dace Thread Starter

Im puzzled, I have built a few pc's with no probs, this last one has me stumped and any help would be appreciated greatly. here we go let me give sys specs first
    msi k7n2 delta lan
    xp2500 barton 333fsb cpu
    512 dual channel memory
    fx5200 128 vid card
    maxtor 30 gig drive and floppy and cdrw
    xp pro os

The system works gr8 then it will lock up and I have to hit reset and sometimes it starts back up fine and others I dont find the hard drive in bios. I power down and remove ide cable and reinsert the cable and that works sometimes and sometimes not.....I mess with cables some then it will work........Ive replaced the cable several times with same results, so motherboard was still under warranty so I got a new mob and still have the problem. is the problem a bad hard drive or power supply??? help please very annoying problem.

Thx Dace

2. kronus

kronus

I'd put money on a software problem. Is there anything specific that causes the lockups? Like opening a browser or running a game? Without a specific trigger for an error it's harder to troubleshoot. Two things you can try: first is safe mode. This will load generic drivers so you might quickly identify if it's software or hardware. Use your error trigger if you've got one. Once you've done that, you can move on. Second is identifying the offending driver or component. For software, you must uninstall drivers one at a time. I'd start with simple stuff like mice and sound. Reboot after each uninstall, and again, use the trigger. For hardware you've got to physically remove things one at a time. Same deal, reboot after each, until you've defined the problem.

One more thing, have a look at the event viewer. right click my computer, select manage, and it should be there.

3. Dace

Dace Thread Starter

Thanks Im working my way thru all that, the only curious thing event viewer is many error with the same service, the remote access connection manager. thx for your help so far

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice