1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive packed, will not start up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jay911, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jay911

jay911 Thread Starter

hi i have a pentiumIII running windows 98 se. lately my brother accidently downloaded a virus that completely fills the hard drive. there is no room to do anything. it was running normally with the hard drive full but now it will only run in safe mode. there are alot of pictures on the hard drive that are important to save. is there a way to fix this.

2. dr911

dr911

Hey jay911,
    Can you d/l a anti- virus like AVG (free) http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 or Avast (free) http://www.avast.com/ run a scan, also get ad ware or spy-bot search & destroy. Run all those.

I don't think a virus can infect your "whole" HD....but you never know........give those a try 1st.

3. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

Also run a scandisk just in case the free space on your drive is being reported incorrectly.

4. jay911

jay911 Thread Starter

i cant run thoughs programs because my pc will not start up normally only in safe mode

5. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

You should be able to run scandisk from safe mode. You could also run disk cleanup.

6. jay911

jay911 Thread Starter

i have run scan disc and disk cleanup but the free space is just filled up with the virus. spybot cannot find anything wrong maybe it a different type of virus

7. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned

couldnt he run Safe Mode w/ Networking, isnt that one of the options when you tap F8?

8. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned

or is that option only for XP? i have XP on this computer and Win. 98SE on the other, i wouldnt know if 98 had that option because i had never tryed it.

9. jay911

jay911 Thread Starter

Hey guys, ive got antivir 9x running through it thats the only virus checker i have.. i tryed working the safe mode with network support to get hijack this downloaded but it doesnt let me connect to the internet or the network, ive ran scan disk and it has corrected a few problems but it hasnt helped. the screen starts up normally and then it kicks out and starts up again... then it gives me the option to start in safe mode.. ive read a code that goes like this , setpath=c;windows;cwindows/command;cprogram~|common~/|roxios~/\
    im not sure if this helps any? but thats all that i can get from it.. ive ran spy bot and it didnt catch anything like jay911 said.. thanks for the help guys.

Darren

10. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned

tryed tapping F8 in my Win. 98SE computer, and it dont have the safe mode w/ networking, sorry about that i thought it did, guess only XP has that option.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice