1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Partion / Partition Magic Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nimble rabit, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nimble rabit

nimble rabit Thread Starter

I'd descrbe myself as somebody who understands computers just enough to really, really screw things up. This time I've managed to really mess up a partition on my hard drive (150 gigs) and now I have no idea how to fix it. I'll include as much information as I can, but if you need more just ask and tell me how to acquire it if applicable.

I partitioned my 300gig hard drive into 3 parts: 100gig ntfs, 75gig fat32, 150gig linux (don't remember the type). I realize that's not quite 300, but that's what I remember doing sorry. After a while I stopped using linux altogether and so I got rid of it from my bootloader and just ignored it. Then at one point I foolishly tried to use Partition Magic 8.0 to merge convert and merge it into my fat32 drive to make that one bigger. I did this without using safe-mode or anything just to make everything worse. As you can imagine it didn't work right.

Now I have C: D: and E: drives in My Computer but when I try to open or do anything to E: it says it's an invalid drive (C is the 100gig ntfs and D is the 75gig fat32). If I open Partition Magic's "Partition Tools" program these error messages pop up:
    "Disk error(s) were detected on this drive. See the 'Errors:' list for more details."
    "Disk geometry error(s) were detected on this drive."
    "Partition error(s) were detected on this drive."

This is all the information output through Partition Info:

(I'm using Windows XP SP2)

Just so you know I'm 100% willing to format (if this thing is even salvagable), but only if I somebody can give me some instructions on how to not lose my data and transfer it easily back and forth.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice