1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive partition problems very odd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

No that's a seperate Partition Magic error. I'll look at Symon again tonight, but the last time we tried to use it for this it would not work :( It kept saying something to the effect of "partition needs to be formatted" :(

2. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hmm the drive in question, the first partitoin is 12gb 32fat and the second one is the rest of the drive which is also a logical partition. Perhaps I will get Symon and check it out. Anything else I should know about this bug?

3. dogbonz

dogbonz

Hey game,

One thing that nobody noted is that you did a ghost of your
    C drive on part 1 of the second drive.

When the system is booting it looks for an OS. You've
    made the mistake of giving it confusing choices.

You do NOT want identical boot files (per system) on more
    than one drive. I run 98SE and XPpro on different partitions,
    and there is even then a little confusion, as some programs
    put vital files on "C", no matter what you do.

Don't confuse your poor stoopid system with identical
    boot files !!

-dogbonz

4. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes it looks for a OS, but first on the primary HD then second etc. Since it finds the proper boot info on the primary drive, it boots acording to that data (granted if one wanted to be really safe you could ghost to file rather that partition). On another system I will be having 98 on the primary parition and the second partition will be XPpro as well. I will keep a eye out for programs that don't install to the proper partition. I have installed many programs to a second drive without any problems, but then I was not dualbooting at the time, so I can see the confusion that could create if it did not find a certain file on drive D becuase the install put it on drive C.

Any programs in particular one should watch out for?

Oh I forgot to mention, the whole reason I was ghosting the pirmary drive is that it is older. And even though there are no signs of failure I wanted to have a full ghost of it. Then if it failed I could just make my second drive my primary and loose very little data if any.

5. dogbonz

dogbonz

Not a bad Idea. Better to just transfer to the new hdd and use
    the old one for programs and saves and stuff. Less confusing
    that way. As a slave that you can park stuff on that can be
    easily re-installed.

As to programs that drop stuff on the C: drive no matter what...

All Anti-virus programs. CD burner programs. Certain high-end
    games. Note when you install a program. Most will put things
    in the System files if nothing else. That's usually not important.

-dogbonz

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There is no problem having two disks with identical layouts/OS's both in the machine at the same time. I do it all the time because I do a lot of testing and need to be able to revert my setup regularly. My BIOS scans for all bootable devices and allows me to press F8 and choose which one to use. It then swaps the disks round so that the booted one becomes C:/A: (oh and by the way I have 6 OS's and a data partition - all primary - on each disk. Using Symon I can choose any 4 from 6 at any one time)

7. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well here is a update. After using the drive for a bit by scanning and saving pictures to drive E, drive D (the frist partition on drive 2) disappeared again. Well I shouldn't say disappeard as the drive letter is still there but you can't access it. If you click on it a error pops up "Drive D is not acecessable, a device attached to the system is not functioning".

But all the data on drive E (partition 2) is still intact. Very interesting to say the least. And I was right about the box poping up saying "drive D is not formatted would you like to format it", I was deleting files from drive C. But it did not pop up untill I empted the recycle bin (found that out after I did dumped the trash). But I have done this several times since last week and this is the first time that box poped up again.

I also updated the BIOS of the system in question. And while the update mentioned "better support for larger hard disks" I don't think that the drive configuration of this BIOS actually starts unless it sees something different (a missing drive for example) as I don't see any difference in that respect (and I would think it would flash "drive change....changes saved...rebooting"). I will try pulling a drive, reboot, then plug a drive back in and see if that makes a difference.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice