1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coktoastin, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coktoastin

coktoastin Thread Starter

I have a 80 GB hard drive that is configured in FAT32. I am interested in setting up a partition and leaving half, 40gig, as FAT32 and the other half NTFS. I am using Windows XP home edition. I am looking for any suggestions and/or tutorial. Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that you want to keep the existing installation and divide the disk, right? If so, Partition Magic would be the easiest way to do it.

3. coktoastin

I essentially was to leave everything on my hard drive, about 30 gigs worth, as is. Then split off or partition a portion of the remainder of my hard drive, 40 gigs, and utilize that as NTFS. I don't want to loose any of my current info. Is it possible to just designate 40 GB as a new drive and reformat it to NTFS?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

it is definately possible but as johnwill said, you will need a non-destructive partioning program (such as partition magic) to do it without losing data.

5. coktoastin

Thanks for the input, I'll probably give that a shot. One more question though... my computer is configured as follows:
    Hard drive is master, cd-rw is slave in one IDE port. DVD-RW is master and DVD-ROM is slave on other IDE port. 3.5 inch floppy has it's own port. Those are the only ports on my motherboard. Can I install an additional internal hard drive and slave it to the 3.5 inch drive? Thanks in advance.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

no you cant. you would have to add another controller.

my suggestion is to pull the dvd-rom and stick with the dvd-rw since the RW will read and the dvd-rom is now not really needed imho.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice