Hard-Drive partitioning?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jedis1000

Ok, so here's the deal...
I have a Power Spec 8706(Specs at the bottom.) and it's running pretty good. I do have a sufficient amount of RAM to run the programs that I want to run, but I thought about it, and figured that Windows 98 would be better to run games on- considering the OS doesn't take up as much memory as XP does. So, the problem is that I want to make a separate partition on my 40 gig drive so that it will hold Windows 98. How would I go about doing this? And I also wondered how much space Windows 98 would take up. I was thinking about making a partition of about a gigabyte, and install 98 on it. Then, I would install all of my games on the main part with XP. Is this possible? And if so, could you please assist me? If it is possible to do something like this, I would also like to be able to choose which OS I want to use when I turn the computer on. I think thats about it. I would GREATLY appreciate help on this one.
-Thanks a lot!

PowerSpec® 8706
Processor
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.0GHz

System Board
FIC VI-39L

System Memory
256MB DDR266 SDRAM 184-pin DIMM

Diskette Drive
3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive

Hard Drive
40GB ATA/100

CD-RW Drive
LiteOn 48x12x48x

Video
Integrated SiS 651 VGA Chipset; open AGP slot

Sound
Integrated AC'97 Audio CODEC

Modem
56K PCI Modem MDP 7800

LAN
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

Keyboard
Windows PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse
PS/2 2-button Internet Scroll Mouse

Speakers
Stereo Speakers

OS
Microsoft®Windows XP Home Edition

Triple6

Rob
You'll need to get a program like Partition Magic to resize the current partition and create a new one - or completely fdisk the harddrive, create 2 partitions and reinstall both O/S onto their own partition. If you want 98 to be able to access the files on the XP partition then you'll need to format that partition with FAT32 as 98 cannot read the defualt XP file system of NTFS. Also a 1 GB partition is very small - you'll run out of room pretty fast - 2-4 GB may be a better size if you don't plan on using it too much.

On another note, XP is a better choice than 98 - It handles hardware/resources better than 98 and is more stable. If you are worried about RAM, well 256MB isn't that much - upgrade it to 512MB and XP will run much nicer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online