1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard-Drive partitioning?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jedis1000, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

Ok, so here's the deal...
    I have a Power Spec 8706(Specs at the bottom.) and it's running pretty good. I do have a sufficient amount of RAM to run the programs that I want to run, but I thought about it, and figured that Windows 98 would be better to run games on- considering the OS doesn't take up as much memory as XP does. So, the problem is that I want to make a separate partition on my 40 gig drive so that it will hold Windows 98. How would I go about doing this? And I also wondered how much space Windows 98 would take up. I was thinking about making a partition of about a gigabyte, and install 98 on it. Then, I would install all of my games on the main part with XP. Is this possible? And if so, could you please assist me? If it is possible to do something like this, I would also like to be able to choose which OS I want to use when I turn the computer on. I think thats about it. I would GREATLY appreciate help on this one.
    -Thanks a lot!

PowerSpec® 8706
    Processor
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.0GHz

System Board
    FIC VI-39L

System Memory
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM 184-pin DIMM

Diskette Drive
    3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive

Hard Drive
    40GB ATA/100

CD-RW Drive
    LiteOn 48x12x48x

Video
    Integrated SiS 651 VGA Chipset; open AGP slot

Sound
    Integrated AC'97 Audio CODEC

Modem
    56K PCI Modem MDP 7800

LAN
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

Keyboard
    Windows PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse
    PS/2 2-button Internet Scroll Mouse

Speakers
    Stereo Speakers

OS
    Microsoft®Windows XP Home Edition

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll need to get a program like Partition Magic to resize the current partition and create a new one - or completely fdisk the harddrive, create 2 partitions and reinstall both O/S onto their own partition. If you want 98 to be able to access the files on the XP partition then you'll need to format that partition with FAT32 as 98 cannot read the defualt XP file system of NTFS. Also a 1 GB partition is very small - you'll run out of room pretty fast - 2-4 GB may be a better size if you don't plan on using it too much.

On another note, XP is a better choice than 98 - It handles hardware/resources better than 98 and is more stable. If you are worried about RAM, well 256MB isn't that much - upgrade it to 512MB and XP will run much nicer.

3. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

ok, thanks for the advice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice