1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive partitioning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lily4312, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

I bought a 40 GB hard drive and I downloaded the instruction on how to partition it. Followed instruction, but somewheres along the line I must have done something wrong. I ended up with only 1.99 GB HD. Can that be fixed?? Need Help!!!!

lily4312

2. WarC

WarC

You should be able to repartition the harddrive using whatever method or software you first used. You'll probably need to reformat the harddrive, which means you will lose whatever data you have put on the 2gigs so far.

Somewhere along the line, you will be asked how large you want the partition to be. It could be likely that the default option was 2gigs, even though you could use most of the 40gigs the drive is supposed to have.

If you just want more partitions, you can create more letter drives (E:, F:, etc) inside of Windows using the Disk Management tool. It is buried inside of Administrative Tools in Windows 2000 and XP. You can utilize the full 40gig that way, as well.

3. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Thank you WarC, I will try to re-partition and see if it will help.
    lily4312

4. qldit

qldit

Good Morning lily4312, if you have any problem with WarC's idea, you might google "madboot".
    On this madboot site there is a free image available that will make a bootable floppy which is a technicians tool.
    It contains various tools to clean, partition, format, inspect, and do other work on drives, including a zero fill which writes zeros to the drive. (overwrites any previous data that might exist on it)
    You will need to register on the site, but it is free.
    Cheers, qldit.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The 1.99gig is probably a result of formatting it FAT, not FAT32 or NTFS. :)

6. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Thank you for the information qldit & John Well.

lily4312

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice