1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive partitions lost - Need to recover data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vandy013, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

I just flew overseas to study abroad for a semester and brought my laptop and my external hard drive with me. Well, after I arrived, I hooked up my external hd and fired it up, but Windows wouldn't show it in My Computer, so I went into diskmanager and it shows that the drive is unpartitioned. It's a Maxtor 300gb disk and had 3 partitions on it, a FAT32 and two NTSF partitions. But non of them show up. I also tried accessing the disk through Knoppix, but no luck. I have files on their that I really don't want to loose, how can I recover the partitions or at least get the files off and then make new partitions. Also, why would the drive have done this? Maybe the x-ray at the airport? I have partition magic, would that be of any help? Note: I can't use Partition Magic right now, because my laptop isn't booting into Windows right now, but thats another problem, if you want to help me with that, search through my other posts, I'm about to start a thread for that too.

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all I would pull the drive out of the enclosure and install it on the system you are using now. See what it says about the drive. Enclosures fail and the drive could be just fine.
    If that does not work, post back.

3. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

Right now I just have my laptop, but I know some guys who might have a computer I can put it in. I'll get back to you. Any other suggestions in the mean time would be great.

4. parasolution

parasolution

At least disk management is seeing the drive.

After you install in another computer and the partition tables are still corrupted, the easiest way to recover would be Partition Magic.

Had to do that a couple of times on a drive of mine.

5. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

What did you have to do to recover the partition? Is there a simple wizard to do it? Also, just for clarification, this "recovering" the partition means that all the data will be recovered just like it was, right?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is never a guarantee when you do data recovery. That is why any data you care about is backed up. When there is a problem, you just restore from your backup.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is against the rules of the forum. Consider this a friendly warning; obey the forum rules.

8. kresshaynes

kresshaynes

9. parasolution

parasolution

Partition Magic as an "Undelete" option. If Undelete sees a previous partition, it will give you a list of partitions it may or may not be able to recover.

My partition table became corrupt and the drive showed as unallocated in Disk Management. I ran PM, there too it showed as an unallocated drive. But I ran undelete and it said I was able to recover a previous partition (not exactly sure on the steps, as I did this several months ago). Once the process was complete, I had all my data intact.

10. kresshaynes

kresshaynes

just an add on note before buying file scavenger $159.00 be fore warned it does a lousy job on songs (they tend to be scrambled) does a fair job on documents and a flawless job recovering pictures so assess your needs before BUYING the program and never neVER NEVER pirate software even if its over priced and buggy. (thas all i gotta say for now)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to a free trial of O&O disk recovery. This is the software I use and it works very well. I have never used the trial; most trials show you the files you could recover however they do not do the recovery until you pay for the app. It does not hurt to download it and see if you can recovery anything.
    O&O disk recovery trial

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/508552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice