Hard drive power supply adapter burned up... now what?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hatrabbit

I have a LaCie Grand hard drive, and while plugged in the power supply tip smoked and melted inside the charging port of the drive enclosure. Using 2 small screwdrivers I got all the goo and charcoal out, then plugged in another power supply. The drive mounted and I got all my data out.

Now what? Would you experts trust this drive with a new power supply? Or should I crack it open and put the actual drive into a new enclosure? i feel like a hard drive I can't trust is useless to me. Am I too paranoid? Your opinions here will be greatly appreciated.

Howdy,

Me personally would put it in another Enclosure as they are not expensive......also I might run a test on the HDD as well

I would not continue to use that enclosure, even if the problem was the power supply and not the enclosure, who knows what kind of internal damage that fire caused. In my opinion that enclosure is now considered a fire hazard and I would replace it. Its not worth burning down your home to save a few bucks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online