1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Prices Skyrocket

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by jp1203, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/ha...-drive-production-gets-worse#fbid=fVJGOr3J26-

Discovered this first hand today when I looked at hard drive prices for a laptop I'm working on that's developing bad sectors. Paid around half of what they cost now just a month ago.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

It's sad but prices have shot up on everything.
    I went grocery shopping and a roast that was
    $6 a few months ago is $12 now.

3. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

This is a direct result of the floods in Taiwan, though...there are some pictures on various news sites of the Western Digital building under water. Technology also doesn't tend to follow the trend of everything else. Price any laptop, printer, digital camera, etc. 10 years ago, then price its replacement now. More than likely the price has dropped significantly and the technology will run circles around what was available before.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    At some of the prices I have seen while browsing New Egg, I would be more willing to spend a couple hundred on a large SSD at the moment. Looks like build plans are goig to be on hold for a few months. Either that or I pull a couple drives out of my Back-up Image Drives for my next build.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Actually, the major manufacturers have plants in Thailand. The floods there, especially outside of Bangkok, have closed many of them and left others with little access to the outside world. The major Chinese supplier of rare-Earth metals also decided to stop producing for a month in order to drive up world prices. The latter should improve as more sources are utilized outside China.

6. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    We've been feeling it at our shop, too. We've been adjusting our pricing as quickly as we can to try to keep up. :(

7. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Luckily, the people I do work for are tech-savvy enough to know what the retail prices of hard drives are, but not necessarily Newegg prices...so when I tell them "Hard drives got really expensive fast, and are almost double what they were a month ago" and give them a price, they don't think it's high. I suppose even if they did realize it was higher than it usually would be, they can check for themselves first-hand :D.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice