1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive prob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grf29, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grf29

grf29 Thread Starter

Ive got 2 hard dirves one with XP pro and the other used to have XP on it, but since Ive changed drives around and removed the operating sys from the second drive it keeps saying that that drive is not formated but it has about 30 gigs of music and about 5 gigs of movies. And when i had a look at formating it, it tells me that its 790GB when its only 120GB. any clues?? And at the first screen after booting up where it detects iIDE drives it shows my Maxtor and my cd drive sweet as but my Seagate 120gb is just abunch of strange letters. Ive taken out, pushed cable connections, i think as much as I know..... Help is there anyway to get my 500 albums back......................HELP Please :( :(

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

How did you "remove the operating system" from the second drive?

Certainly sounds like the file system is in a bad way.

3. grf29

grf29 Thread Starter

Kiwi to Kiwi eh?........... Kiaora. After I formated the other drive and made it my OS drive I just clicked my "D" drive and deleted the OS off that drive coz I was just gona use that az a music and movies drive. File system I saw under properties was "RAW" ....... Is it all lost??????

4. Derrick

Derrick

I think you may have deleted the partition on the origional drive:(

5. Derrick

Derrick

usually you can leave the operating system on the old drive then slave it ,and then ur able to access it after the operating system is on the new one.

6. grf29

grf29 Thread Starter

so can I get it back to working order or will I need to buy anuda one, not worried bout if i lost the music. Can i reformat it or re partition it??

7. Derrick

Derrick

yep just right click on the old drive in my computer and select format

8. randyrayd

randyrayd

Did you just delete the OS? Some data should still be there unless you formated. Try reinstalling the OS before formatting.

You guys are much more savvy than I, but it seems there would still be data on the drive, just no way of accessing it.

I'm learning, maybe,

Randall

9. Derrick

Derrick

yeah he could try that as well, when installing don't fomat it just leave as is.

10. grf29

grf29 Thread Starter

when I go to format it says that the capacity is 790gb but its only 120? whats up with that?

11. grf29

grf29 Thread Starter

I remember that the puta did a disk check shortly after the deleting of the OS and it took bout half hour converting orphaned chains and stuff like that. And when that had finshed I could still acces the drive but all the folders had changed, all the lettering was all crazy. Like foreign letters with accents and stuff.

12. Derrick

Derrick

thats weird eh?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice