1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive problem: Disc read error, ctrl+alt+delete to restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neomatrix248, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neomatrix248

neomatrix248 Thread Starter

I'm getting that error message when I boot up my computer.

Fortunately I have another hard drive on the same machine with an OS, so I can load it up on that one.

The interesting thing is that I have two partitions of the screwed up hard drive, and one of them works perfectly. I can scan it for errors, access the files, and do everything with it. However, when I try to open the other partition while loaded up on the working HDD, it takes like 5 minutes and then it gives me an error.

Is there anything I can do to fix this short of throwing it in the trash?

I'm using a western digital hard drive, but i'm not sure how to find out the specifics.

If you need any more information feel free to ask.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

If you have two partitions are you running two OSs? Jazz

3. neomatrix248

Not exactly, what happened was I got a new computer with a 500 gb hard drive with vista 64 bit on it, but I wanted to keep all the data from my old computer so I put in my old hard drive. The old hard drive has two partitions on it, one of them has windows vista 32 bit. So in total I have 3 "drives" on my computer, but only 2 physical hard drives inside of it. I'm loaded up on the new hard drive with vista 64 bit right now.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

So I'm assuming the vista 32 bit works and your 64 bit vista is solid, and so what is on the old hdd on that third partition that's failing to run? Jazz

5. neomatrix248

lol that's what i'm trying to figure out. I don't know how there could be anything physically wrong with the device if one partition works but not the other. There could be something wrong with the vista 32 bit that's on there, but i'll have to wait until I go back to college to get my recovery disk from my room to find out.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is it possible that the partition you can not access and read is the recovery partition from the old computer?

7. neomatrix248

I don't really get what you mean, recovery partition?

Just so we're clear, the hard drive was working fine in the new computer and everything for a few months, the problem just happened out of nowhere.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I did not understand that the drive had been working properly at one point with both partitions accessable. Sorry, a recovery partition is where big box system makers put the recovry programs and data for a preinstalled OS. THey do this so that they no longer have to provide us with a recovery disc set at purchase.

9. jazz3000

jazz3000

If you go in under Disk Manager through your vista 64 what does the non working partition say? Jazz

10. neomatrix248

what do you mean by disc management?

11. neomatrix248

any thoughts?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How about try to run CHKDSK on the drive by right clicking on it in Computer and going to Properties, then Tools, and click "Check Now", then check both boxes and let the scan run.

13. neomatrix248

I tried that but it just gives me an error, saying it cannot access the device, I/O error or something like that

14. jazz3000

jazz3000

Under Administrator - Computer Management -Removable Storage in XP and I think it's pretty much the same in Vista. Jazz

15. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'm wondering at this point if it isn't a need to format that 3rd partition? Jazz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/785995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice