1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive problem w/ new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mrfritz379, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrfritz379

Mrfritz379 Thread Starter

I just bought an AMD XP1700 board and a new atx case. In my old machine, I had a 40gb hd for primary, and a 20 gb for a slave. Now, my 40 Gig drive is not being read by the new board. Fdisk won't partition it or format it. I can't install anything on it, and the machine wouldn't boot off of it when I still had my OS on it. My old machine reads it fine, and the new board reads by 20 Gig drive fine. I installed Windows 98se on it, installed partition magic 7.0 and tried to partition the bigger drive from there, but its still not working. HELP!!!!

2. pvc9

pvc9

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

Does the BIOS detect the HDD? Can you see the HDD in the POST screen where the Primary Master Drive, Primary Slave..., Secondary Master... are all displayed?

3. Mrfritz379

yes, the bios does recognize that there is a hard drive. When the computer boots, it shows all the specs (size, etc.). However, nothing can be done with it. no partitioning, no formating, nothing. I've used an old dos boot disk, a partition magic disk, and I've tried to ghost it. nothing seems to work. I'm stumped...

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

When the drive was initially set up, you may have used EZ Drive, EZ Bios software to overcome a BIOS size limitation....this can prevent actions with drive, check for any old EZ disks around....notes when you installed it....

5. Mrfritz379

No, I don't think that would be it, cause I've put the drive into my old machine and from there reformatted, re-partitioned, deleted the partition, etc. I've tried just about everything there is, I think. Right now, the drive has no formatting at all. There is no partition on there, no information, nothing. It's just a fresh, empty drive, as though it were just out of the box. Still not working.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

The fdisk command should work- your drive must not be installed correctly, either a jumper is wrong, or somehow it is not being AUTo detected....most BIOSes today should do this- please check the jumpers....if it is NOT a single drive, there is a setting for that- you'd have to CHANGE THE JUMPERS ON THE DRIVE ALREADY INSTALLED, as well as the new slave...
    If the drive is set up as a slave- use those pins.
    The red edge of the ribbon cables must be aligned with pin 1 of the connectors on the drive itself and motherboard IDE port...check those. If you are using an 80-wire (the newer cables, with blue plastic end- this must go onto the motherboard port not the drive.
    Since the drive works in the other machine, it seems to me to be the way the other machine is set up-
    compared to how the drives are where you want the drive to be fdisked- You might be mixing up the IDE Primary with the Secondary ports....check in BIOS, set the drive you want to install the same way it is physically installed, either Slave on Primary IDE or Secondary IDE....then try to set it to AUTO and save and exit the BIOS....restart, will it see it now?

7. Mrfritz379

Unfortunately, these are all things that I have checked a dozen times or more. My BIOS is set to Auto on both hard drives. Like I said, the BIOS reads the hard drive; it knows it exists and it gives the specs when I first boot up (cylinders, speed, space, etc.). The problem lays with the formatting somehow. Fdisk will not let me delete a partition, because it says no partition exists. Neither will it let me create a partition, because it says that there is no space for a new partition. I would like to say it was something simple like the IDE cable, but the fact that the other machine reads the harddrive means the cable is fine. The motherboard is brand new, so I find it hard to believe something is wrong with it. Just don't know...

8. pvc9

pvc9

Sorry if you answered this already but, did you create any partitions when you were able to access the drive in the other computer?

If yes, then try this, copy the system files(command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys) to the drive's first partition and then connect only this HDD to the IDE cable and see if it boots!

Just a trial!

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi

Try running Fdisk and picking option 4. Does it show any dos or non dos partitions on the drive? What is the make/ manufacturer of the drive? Many drives come with a floppy disk that is used to set up the drive. If you don't have one you can usually download one from the drives manufacturers web site. Does your new system board support ultra 66 or 100? If so you may need to install the special 80 wire IDE cable for it to work correctly.

10. Mrfritz379

pvc9: Yes, unfortunately, I did try something like that. When I first got the new board, I had Win98se installed on the hard drive. It would not boot on the new board, however. Then I tried Using the compaq restoration CD (since my old computer was a compaq) and that didn't work. Finally I tried erasing all partitions on the drive and creating a fresh partition with only the boot files (which is when I lost all my data), but that didn't work either. Right now, the drive has no partitions installed at all, but it's still not reading.

Lurker1: I don't know if this will help at all, but the drive is Ultra100. The smaller hard drive that is working is Ultra66. That much, the BIOS will detect. beyond that, nothing. Is it possible that the cables I have will only support the slower drive? If so, why did the drive work on the Compaq, if I was using the exact same cables?

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

The old compact could only run the drive under the slower speed (I think 33) as it probably had no way of detecting the higher speed drives. You will probably need two of the 80 wire cables to get the best performance out of your drives and the master should be hooked up to the end connector for best results. Your new system board should have come with one of these cables. It looks like an ordinary IDE cable but has more wires in it and the connectors are usually color coded. I am thinking that the old compac system needed some kind of overlay so it could use the 40 gig drive correctly. It probably will show up as a non dos partition. To really be sure that nothing is left on the drive I suggest you try writing all zeros to the drive as mentioned in this post.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=98870&highlight=Zero+fill

12. Mrfritz379

Ok, I was so sure you had struck a goldmine, I could almost taste the 40 gigs.
    Unfortunately, it was just a tease. I bought the new cable today- that didn't do it. Then, I went to Maxtor.com and found some utilities to do the low-level formatting and even the partitioning and formatting (by the way, the link on the other thread is a little old. This program is much more up to date: http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm). I ran several thorough diagnostics, and the hard drive checks out ok. performed the low-level format, and everything seemed ok. Then I tried to partition it. Didn't work. Tried fdisk, tried the maxtor utilities and nothing. Arrrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!

13. Mrfritz379

Ok, I sort of got it working. I found out yesterday that Windows XPs disk management utility can access the hard drive. It allowed me to create a partition on it, so I can use it to store files and things on it, but it is still on readable by fdisk. Since I can't create a fat32 format on it with fdisk, WinXP formatted it with NTFS. Unfortunately, this means that I can't use the hard drive as a master drive and it is stuck as a slave. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I really wanted it as a Master because I'm supposed to be using the smaller hard drive on another machine. Any more ideas?

14. pvc9

pvc9

Thats better!

But, the same Win XP Disk Management utility can also format the drive in FAT32 format. Not only NTFS but you can also format the disk in FAT32 system. Check again with the utility and FAT32 should be an option!

15. Mrfritz379

Unfortunately, the WinXP utility can not format a hard drive higher than 32gb with Fat32. I tried sectioning the drive into two partitions, 20 gigs each, but winxp still won't do it. Plus, I'm worried that the disk management utility won't make the drive readable by a dos program like fdisk. If I were to put the hard drive into another computer that didn't have winxp, would that other computer be able to get the data off of it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/98260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice