1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skylinedo, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skylinedo

skylinedo Thread Starter

Hi, I recently obtained a:

Seagate Barracuda (ST320420A)
    ATA II, 20.4 Gig 72k RPM
    Hard Drive and set the jumper to Slave on the Secondary IDE cable. This drive is intended to be used as storage place for more data b/c I'm running:

IBM 4.25 Gig 72k RPM SCSI Hard Drive, on which, Windows 98 2nd Edition is installed.

Now, the problem is that I put the Seagate Hard Drive in and loaded Windows normally. I goto view the drive capacity in My Computer and it reads 7.82 Gigs.

Now, the Hard Drive is labled to have 20.4 gigs and I should have more space. I've already formatted the drive. And is there anyway to get the most out of this Hard Drive? The former computer it resided in read about 18 Gigs of Capacity.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. ratchet

ratchet

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) you will have to repartition the drive

2) if fdisk (or whichever partioning utility you choose) does not show the full size of the disk you will need to either update your bios to support a disk that size (if a bios update is available) or use disk overlay software (see link provided above)

4. skylinedo

skylinedo Thread Starter

Hey,
    I don't think the Drive has ever been partitioned. As for updating the Bios, I have an Asus P3B-F mobo. While there may be some Bios upgrades out there, this seems very risky. And I don't know what I'm doing.

5. ***ROPAK***

***ROPAK***

IF you can get you hands on Partition Magic by Powerquest, you can make partitions and delete them all on the windows GUI. Very handy too. Very simple to use as well.

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Or you can try right kliking on the drive. Choose FORMAT. TO do this the MY COMPUTER window must be closed or else you will get a "Drive is in use error"

GOod luck.

6. A Hawk

A Hawk

did you fdisk and format the drive before loading windows?

7. A Hawk

A Hawk

i forgot to mention, disconnect your main hardrive before you fdisk and format, so you dont format the wrong hd by mistake.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect all the answers that include repartitioning the hard disk to solve the problem will fail. This sounds like one of the many BIOS barriers to hard disk capacity. I suspect your BIOS is pretty old, like 1997-98, and it will only see 8gigs max on a drive. The easy way to solve this is either with a drive overlay program, or something like the Promise Ultra-133 TX2 IDE controller.

9. skylinedo

skylinedo Thread Starter

The Bios update for my Asus P3B-F Mobo have been Finalized and the file update is sitting on my desktop.

The fixes I needed are described here:
    -Processor speeds 600Mghz+ are now supported.
    -Fixed IDE hard drive having a formatted partition larger than 8G bytes cannot be enumerated by OS in "User Type HDD" mode.

Then again, I do not want to Flash the MoBo. The risk doesn't seem to be worth it. I mean, what can you do w/ 20 gigs that you can't do w/ 8? I have plenty of CD's as well. I also formatted the drive and it gives me the same Capacity reading (8 Gigs).

Yeah I can use 600Mghz+, but where can I find a working Coppermine processor? Indeed I can use slocket but my case is too small as my Power Supply sits too close over the Motherboard.

Then you have the risks of Flashing. If something does go wrong, I'm not experienced enough to reload the Old Bios. Besides, the fixes described, I can live without. This is already an old POS, but it's all that I have. Maybe when I build a new computer I'll run the Bios update.

Thank You all for your Replys

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll present a dissenting opinion on the drive overlay. I'd check into the BIOS upgrade if the BIOS indeed doesn't recognize over 8gigs, since I've had a number of issues with drive overlays. They're fine when you first start, but then you move the drive or attempt to hook it up as a slave to access the data and... NOTHING! :mad: It's much easier to have the BIOS support them properly. :)

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'll agree with the bios......IF the flash goes ok.....if not.....it can be dangerous.

All you have to do to attach the drive to another computer, is to put the overlay on the other drive....you don't have to reformat the other drive or anything....just boot with the Maxtor software, choose that drive and select to have it controlled by ezbios too....same way in reverse....if the bios on the other computer doesn't need it, just boot to the Maxtor software and choose to remove EZ-Bios from the drive.......

Have used it for years on several computers.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice