Hard Drive problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cscsonline

I moved my old hard drive from my old PC to a new one I bought and installed it as a slave to the new hard drive in the new PC. I also tried it with the jumper settings set to cable select.
However, on both settings the new PC refused to boot up whenever the old hard drive was connected via the grey cable connector. I even tried it as the master drive with the balck cable connector.
Are some older hard drives incompatible with new motherboards or could it something else?

crjdriver

If the old drive was installed [in the old computer] with a drive overlay program, then it will not play well with other drives. It sounds like you have configured the drive correctly; CS and put it on the grey cable.

Some things to check.
Are both ide channels enabled in the bios and set to AUTO? Some brands of drives have a jumper setting for "Master multiple drive" If the drive in your new computer has this setting, you MAY need to set the jumper this way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online